+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yeah jasper won't eat any 'real' meat & never has. He'll happily eat ham, hot dogs, sausages & chicken nuggets. He sometimes eats a little mince. But that's not 'real' meat. I figure he will when he wants to. And keep trying to offer him the majority of his diet things he'll eat that are still good food. Though his diet is FAR from perfect, he's a little fussy. But he's 3 - I hear it's normal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I wouldn't push the meat by threatening no dessert, and i'm not sold on the vitamins either in this situation (I have given my DS vitamins, but only when he's ill for a long period of time eating next to nothing).

In this situation, there are plenty of foods which can give her adequate vitamins and minerals, without needing to feed her meat if she doesn't want it. I think people get caught up with the whole "must eat red meat for iron" hysteria...it's very possible to get adequate iron otherwise.

Does she eat fruit and vegies, breads, beans, eggs? Dried fruit (especially apricots) are pretty high in iron, as is hummus, due to the iron level in chickpeas and tahini. I used to be a vegetarian, so I have this mental list of foods which are high in iron that i'm trying to remember for you! It's also good eating iron-rich foods with foods rich in vit c, to assist with the iron absorption.

If you are concerned about her iron intake, just look up the nutritional values of different whole foods to get a rough idea, compared to the recommended daily intake of iron for a toddler.
    And don't stress about the meat - just give her bits to try here and there but if she doesn't want it, then it doesn't really matter if she's eating well otherwise
    Exactly! You can get all the iron and protein you need from plants anyway so as long as she is eating a lot of vegetables (particularly green leafy ones!) she will be fine. Also beans, lentils, chickpeas etc as PP's have said, you can make a lot out of them too! Also nuts and seeds are really good to! You can always get an LSA mix which is linseed, sunflower, almond meal, and add that to everything she does eat. You can get it from supermarkets and health food stores, I put it in everything we eat and you can't taste it at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agreed totally as I have lived vegetarian ... Raw foodist etc..

I just don't know if a three year old who won't eat meat would be particularly interested in green leafy veg (or enough of them to get adequate iron etc)...

Mine will drink green smoothies though do you could try them ..

Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's true! My daughter who is 4 now will eat it when it's cut up in food, although a lot of kids probably wouldn't eat the sort of foods I put them in like curries (some look disgusting but taste amazing haha!) I am lucky my daughter will eat/try just about anything!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to haveheart For This Useful Post:

VintageLover  (10-01-2012)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There's plenty of vegetarian parents raising their kids exactly the same way! Just ensure that she's getting the protein and iron she needs in other foods, that's all! It may be a stage, it may be that she hates meat and will NEVER eat it, but that is perfectly healthy as long as her diet is well balanced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The only thing that is in meat that vegetables don't contain is vitamin B12. Iron is absorbed from many foods and protein is in a lot of foods. Incidentally, the only anaemic people that I've come across in my life eat a diet that contains a LOT of meat but little fruit and vegetables, you need other vitamins and minerals for your body to be able to absorb iron.

B12 is fortified into many soy/other milks so maybe just keep an eye on that and just replace your DDs meat with another protein.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You could also try yeast flakes for B12.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    You could also try yeast flakes for B12.
    This is actually a really good idea!!

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    This is actually a really good idea!!
    You sound surprised

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be completely fine with her being a vego, if that's what she chooses. Just was a bit curious, if it could happen this young. Although I think it's just at home because speaking to the day carer, she ate all the spag Bol, and rissoles in tomato and rice, that I made and sent. But at home, wouldn't have a bar of it!? Cheeky cheeky!