+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 33 month Vegetarian??

Hi all. My almost 3 year old daughter, for the past 6 months is flat out refusing to eat meat! She does eat a bit of fish(only flathead or whiting), chicken loaf and hotdogs? She won't eat normal red meat, chicken, ham, lamb, turkey, nothing. Has anyone had this experience? It's not affecting her weight or anything, she's actually quiet chubby for her age and height. Just a curiosity thing for me to make sure it won't affect her later on? Do you think I should give her an iron supplement even though she's eats normally with everything else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm.. Guessing your other girls have never been this way?

Will she eat spaghetti or lasagna? Could always add finely chopped or sliced lamb or chicken into these dishes to see if it goes down...

I'd probably give her a multivitamin.. Think kids should have them anyway..and maybe try some other ways of serving it. Cutting up really fine etc.. Sometimes it's too chewy and they are lazy!

Also.. I'm a big believer in no dinner= no dessert so my daughter has to eat what she is given. ( mind you, dessert in my house ranges from a fruit plate to yoghurt or maybe a custard and fruit.. No crap)

Sorry if you've already tried all these .. You probably have !!

They were just what sprang to mind!

Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha, thanks, and yes I have tried these. She does occasionally eat spag Bol, but very rarely. I like the idea of the multivitamin anyways, can't hurt her can it. We have the same policy too re dessert. She will have 2nd helpings of mash and pumpkin, pasta and rice, or whatever else we are having on the side, but will not touch the meat at all. The other 2 girls love meat, and so do dad and I. Not sure where this is coming from really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As a baby I was the exact same. Always refused meat. Till this day I still haven't had any.

I'd start giving her a kids multi V. Also maybe you could start adding beans and lentils into her food. Keep offering up meat but don't stress, it may just be a phase.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Beans and lentils are a good idea too, maybe it is a phase but maybe she will be like you said you were .. A mini vego!

It's interesting!

Especially since the whole family eats meat.

So she picks it out of dishes? I'd be trying (as im sure you've done) to hide it in everything lol..maybe increase fish to once or twice a week..

Hmm I'd be lost if my child wouldn't eat meat.. Although I myself didn't eat it for a while I was a raw foodie before this second pregnancy .. Now I want to eat everything in sight!

Something I used to eat quite often that your daughter might like is raw zuchinni strips, just using the vegetable peeler... Long spaghetti like strips.. Blend up a tomato based sauce with sunflower and pumpkin seeds..cashews if she eats them.. Parsley..basil.. Whatever herbs she will eat..

Maybe she is doing her own thing??

Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Find a sauce she really likes as a dipping sauce?

Um...

Lol it's hard to think of suggestions..

Bribery? Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was like that as a kid. As a young adult i was diagnosed with a metabolic condition where protein from meat can increase symptoms.

I think keep offering, but if your child doesn't like something never force it, cos maybe they know something that you don't (ie eating meat doesn't make me feel good).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought most 3 yr olds don't like meat? Mine certainly doesn't. We hide ham in his cheese sandwiches, feed him "mcnuggets" (sometimes actual mcnuggets but mostly "copies" at home but we have to call them "mcnuggets" not chicken nuggets or he won't eat them) and crumbed seafood sticks from the fish and chips shop. That's about all the meat he will eat. No red meat at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Meat, especially red meat , apparently has quite a strong flavor that toddlers don't like plus the texture may be turning her off ? I really wouldn't stress, they go through stages , as long as she is getting protein, iron and b12 from other sources she will be fine , does she like eggs, nut butters, maybe try quinoa or amaranth as these have protein and iron (add chia seeds to everything!) , plus look at iron fortified milks and dairy plus if she likes fish you could offer more fish ( salmon especially) fish cakes, ( or crab cakes) fish nuggets, or try chicken bolognaise , she sounds like a good eater so I'm sure she will be fine!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (10-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't push the meat by threatening no dessert, and i'm not sold on the vitamins either in this situation (I have given my DS vitamins, but only when he's ill for a long period of time eating next to nothing).

In this situation, there are plenty of foods which can give her adequate vitamins and minerals, without needing to feed her meat if she doesn't want it. I think people get caught up with the whole "must eat red meat for iron" hysteria...it's very possible to get adequate iron otherwise.

Does she eat fruit and vegies, breads, beans, eggs? Dried fruit (especially apricots) are pretty high in iron, as is hummus, due to the iron level in chickpeas and tahini. I used to be a vegetarian, so I have this mental list of foods which are high in iron that i'm trying to remember for you! It's also good eating iron-rich foods with foods rich in vit c, to assist with the iron absorption.

If you are concerned about her iron intake, just look up the nutritional values of different whole foods to get a rough idea, compared to the recommended daily intake of iron for a toddler.
    And don't stress about the meat - just give her bits to try here and there but if she doesn't want it, then it doesn't really matter if she's eating well otherwise
    Last edited by Witwicky; 10-01-2012 at 00:13.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Benji  (10-01-2012)