+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Coping Strategies During C/Section?

I'm booked in to have my little man on Friday

I'm having an elective c/s after a traumatic labour which resulted in an emergency c/s with my DD, 5.5 years ago.

Today I've started to get a bit nervous about the whole thing. Up until now I haven't thought too much about the specifics, but it's all becoming very real now.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for dealing with the anxiety before, but especially during, the surgery?
    I'm not very good with this kind of thing, even minor dental work fills me with dread, so I'm not sure how I'm going to cope...

Any tips would be greaty appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm exactly the same as you!!!
    The morning of my elective c section dec 2010 I woke from sleep at 3am !!! My alarm was set for me to wake at 5am as we had to be at the hospital at 6:30am!!! I could not sleep and was terrified even though I had been through 2 emergency sections previously!! I called my mum and was talking to her she told me to try not to think about the actual procedure and focus on what I was getting out of it as the end result!!!
    The thing that terrified me most Is needles and pain - I don't do both very well!!! All morning I tried so hard to concentrate on everything possible to do with my new baby that I would be holding by that evening!!
    It worked till I got to the hospital and was called FIRST up to get prepped!! I was in the dressing room and couldn't even change into my gown cause I was shaking so badly and crying!! My dp knocked on the door and I had to get him to come in and dress me as I couldn't do it !!! He have me a huge cuddle and told me that I will be fine and am in the care of qualified professionals that do this thing everyday !!! My mum called me to wish me luck and could hear in my voice how scared I was she once again told me to focus on baby!!!!

I was given my bed and greeted by the midwife that was going to be present, she asked me how I was and I said well I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't terrified!! It wasn't untill she said these words that kinda calmed me the words were " having fear is what keeps us safe" I layed there and thought about what she had said and she was right!!!
    Once in theatre all prepped ready to go I calmed down , I was more excited of meeting our new baby more than anything else!! Once he was out and in my arms a sense of relaxation came over me and I was distracted by what was going on through the rest of the procedure!!!

Soo really I don't have any tips bar what I have mentioned in my experience!!! I know it's all easier says than done but just remember that the tiny miracle you have been waiting to need for the last 9 months will af last be in your arms!!!! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was so scared in the lead up. I had all of one days notice and I was petrified. But I surprised myself and found once I got to the hospital I was quite calm. I triednot to think about it while waiting and got DH to distract me talking about names and family gossip and stuff so I couldn't stew on it.

Once it began I tried to think of a movie in my head. I tried to zone out and just watch the movie in my head. For me, my 'happy place' is always thinking of horses galloping through a field. Then when I heard the baby I was just so relieved and the baby distracted me so I didn't notice the rest.

In recovery I had a nurse sitting by my side and she was joking and it was just lovely. The whole experience was very non scary and the staff were all so reassuring. Oh - and I also told the aneasthetist that I normally get very anxious and he said he'd take that into account so he probably put something in the mix to help. So I recommend talking to your drs.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys.
    I have to be at the hospital at 6am, so I don't see myself getting any sleep the night before! As it is I'm running on 1-2 hours a night now anyway..

Does anyone know if they're able to give a light sedative in case of "freak outs"?

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, they can and do. If you warn your anaesthetist he'll discuss it with you. Honestly, I was terrified. I cried the whole day before. And having done it, I'd not hesitate to do it again if needed. Ths from someone who hasn't been to the dentist in 10 years because it freaks me out. You'll be okay. Just try to keep control of your thoughts/distract yourself and let it run its course.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparklydreamer For This Useful Post:

danielle13  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was freaking out so badly after a long traumatic labor that ended in a c-section with DS.

I asked for a sedative. And they were going to give me one. I didn't end up having it, I was fine! I loved the whole thing! The worst part for me was having the numbing stuff on my back, soooo cold! Lol. Are you having a GA, spinal or epi? (sorry, only skimmed through posts) I opted for the spinal after a failed epidural with DS. It was great. I honestly was enjoying the experience! Someone once said to me, "it feels as though someone is rummaging through a handbag in your stomach." Now that freaked me out. And it does feel like that. Just not as bad as it sounds. I can't speak for everyone. But I had a wonderful c-section with DD. I will always remember it with good feelings and how calm they made me feel, knowing how nervous I was. I just stared at the clock, and held DF's hand. And once she was out I barely remember noticing anything they did! It went really quickly.

I wish you all the best, and let them know how nervous you are. They can help I hope you have a wonderful experience too!

inkognito is offline Moving on is simple, its what you leave behind which makes it hard
    Thanks
    Reviews
    J have had 2 electives due to severe anxiety issues, before my first I remember having an anxiety attack when the lady booking me in asked me how I was, the worst part for me was the waiting to go in to theatre, once in there everything happens so quickly, i actually giggled my way through the delivery ( im not sure if maybe the anesthetist had something to do with that though lol) and bubs is out before you know it a couple things that I can think of are

Ask the anesthetist for something if you are really struggling.

Focus on the outcome or if you can't do that, try to distract yourself the second time I remember talking to DH during the delivery and focusing so hard on what he was saying so I didn't really even notice what was going on around me

Both times I asked to not be told what they where doing during the delivery, some people like to know when they start cutting or when bubs cones out... Not me lol I waited till I heard bubs cry

Good luck, im sure your cs will be a positive experience and you will be fine

One handed hubbing on the go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by higgleandgoot View Post
    I was freaking out so badly after a long traumatic labor that ended in a c-section with DS.

I asked for a sedative. And they were going to give me one. I didn't end up having it, I was fine! I loved the whole thing! The worst part for me was having the numbing stuff on my back, soooo cold! Lol. Are you having a GA, spinal or epi? (sorry, only skimmed through posts) I opted for the spinal after a failed epidural with DS. It was great. I honestly was enjoying the experience! Someone once said to me, "it feels as though someone is rummaging through a handbag in your stomach." Now that freaked me out. And it does feel like that. Just not as bad as it sounds. I can't speak for everyone. But I had a wonderful c-section with DD. I will always remember it with good feelings and how calm they made me feel, knowing how nervous I was. I just stared at the clock, and held DF's hand. And once she was out I barely remember noticing anything they did! It went really quickly.

I wish you all the best, and let them know how nervous you are. They can help I hope you have a wonderful experience too!
    Thankyou.
    Having a spinal, it's just what my hospital uses. I had an epi last time but I'd already had it put in during labour so compared with the contractions the pain of it going in was nothing!
    Not really too concerned about the spinal, it's more the actual surgery thats freaking me out.
    And yep, totally agree with the "rummaging" feeling. I remember being able to feel most of what was going on last time, which was disturbing.
    I dunno, my last c/s was the icing on the cake of a horrible birth experience, so I'm perhaps mixing it all up and imagining the c/s was worse than it actually was. (Despite it being scary as hell it was certainly the most controlled and calm part of the day).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by inkognito View Post
    J have had 2 electives due to severe anxiety issues, before my first I remember having an anxiety attack when the lady booking me in asked me how I was, the worst part for me was the waiting to go in to theatre, once in there everything happens so quickly, i actually giggled my way through the delivery ( im not sure if maybe the anesthetist had something to do with that though lol) and bubs is out before you know it a couple things that I can think of are

Ask the anesthetist for something if you are really struggling.

Focus on the outcome or if you can't do that, try to distract yourself the second time I remember talking to DH during the delivery and focusing so hard on what he was saying so I didn't really even notice what was going on around me

Both times I asked to not be told what they where doing during the delivery, some people like to know when they start cutting or when bubs cones out... Not me lol I waited till I heard bubs cry

Good luck, im sure your cs will be a positive experience and you will be fine

One handed hubbing on the go
    Oh no, I do NOT want to know what they're doing!
    I remember "shushing" them a few times during my last c/s, as I'd told them I don't want to be told what they're doing, but I could hear them discussing them amongst themselves.
    I'll be telling them the same again this time. Ignorance is bliss for me, and I don't need the gory details!

I had a read through a few of the positive c/s experience threads lastnight, which made me feel a bit better about it all, just need to get through the next couple of days without losing my mind!

Thanks
    Reviews
    higgleandgoot -
    I've just noticed you're on the Coast - Me too!
    Did you have yours at Gosford?