+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Its frustrating I know for now just do what works, every baby is different Do you have an automatic baby swing? We have one and it has been a lifesaver on occassion, not always but a lot of the time. We resulted to using a dummy as well which isnt a bad thing, it worked for us. We also bought a glider chair so i could rock DS to sleep more comfortably.
    The first days alone are the hardest and you're sleep deprived so its hard but I promise it will get better. What gets me through is day dreaming about DS starting to sit and crawl, his first steps basically everything that reminds me that I can do it Im living in the NT so I doubt u live close to me lol But if u did I would be there to help

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

MissJa  (09-01-2012)

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 2 were both like that. Its very hard. The only way they would sleep was in my arms. For the first 6 months DS had every day sleep in my arms or lying in bed with me or in a sling. They had reflux and it was much worse when they lay down.

You're not a failure. Some babies are very unsettled and it feels like a living nightmare. Does she vomit at all or have a funny smell on her breath? That can indicate reflux.

It does get better. I know that's not much help when you desperately need sleep *now*.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparklydreamer For This Useful Post:

MissJa  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live all the way down in Victoria but thanks anyway She has vomited twice but both times I think she was drinking too quickly and having too much. It was after really big feeds. No bad smell. But she is asleep now been asleep for half an hour which is the longest one so far. Is it possible for her to have seperation anxiety from my husband??? I have tried a dummy but she isnt interested in just kept spitting it out.

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It might be too young for separation anxiety but definitely my kids were more unsettled whenever there was a change such as DH going back to work after a break or visitors leaving after a few days stay.

I'm glad she's having a better than 10min sleep for you atm. Hope she keeps it up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm glad she's sleeping for longer than 10 min it gives you a bit of a breather. DS was awful with a dummy as well, we changed dummy's and tried him on it again like a week later and he's taken it ever since, and Some baby's just dont like them. We ended up having to co sleep with DS because no matter what we did he always woke up when he was put down, when we first started though we would have to hold him all night and I would be holding him all day. Now at 4 months old he still co sleeps but sleeps without us having to hold him all night and is a really good night sleeper, he also sleeps in his swing during the day sometimes so I dont always have to hold him.

As I have said previously the best advice my mum ever gave me was to do what works for you and your baby. Another good suggestion I got which another previous poster mentioned was try putting her in the pram and walking around the house or rocking her to sleep.

Also if she wont sleep properly when put down try lying next to her on your bed and bf her if she wants it, that way you get a well deserved rest and she should fall asleep easier and sleep for longer.
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 09-01-2012 at 15:04. Reason: forgot something :)

Thanks
    Reviews
    MissJa have faith in yourself. You are doing a great job even though you may not think so at the moment. Hang in there.

Our DS use to vomit regularly at that age and we found that raising the head end of his bassinet slightly helped. It eased his discomfort and allowed him to sleep. I also slept when DS did during the day in the first few weeks. The cat naps helped me cope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    you could try warming her bed with a heat pack before you put her down, sometimes the change from your warm arms to a cold bed wakes them.

I found the use of a swing at this age very successful, especially the twinkly music that it played.

i would say too young for separation anxiety, they dont really recognise faces very well at this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Hun I feel your exhaustion, my little man used to sleep in 20min blocks, he was a cat napper until he learned to self settle. I purchased a baby swing really quick after his birth, it meant that I could have my arms free at any stage and do what I needed to do or have a dose on the couch etc. The problem with cat napping is that they feed and fall asleep before they get a full feed, I had to wake him up to ensure that he got the full feed then he'd settle for longer.
    I'd give a sleep school a call too, some have waiting periods so it's vital to make the call early.
    The hospital I gave birth at provide assistance after giving birth for the first month eg I went for a lactation day, 1-1 with a lactation nurse etc. Maybe your hospital has the same.

As a PP said, give someone a call so you can get some sleep, people don't mind holding LO and helping out, id run out in a second for anyone with an unsettled baby after all I can handle a couple of hours because I get to go home.

What state do you live in Hun?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your baby has silent reflux (where they don't actually spit up but they still have heartburn) it can make them fussy and difficult to settle. Trying to feed her in an upright or sloped position, head higher than feet, can help (some breastfeeding pillows allow babies to feed on an angle). The trick I found helped with my daughter is cuddling her upright for 20 to 30 minutes after a feed. That helps all of her food settle and she's usually really deeply asleep before I put her to bed. This can be tough if they are feeding every two or three hours, though, as it means less sleep for you.

Is your daughter gassy? If your milk is coming down too fast for her she may be swallowing lots of air. Crying compounds the problem because babies swallow air when they cry. If your milk lets down too quickly breastfeeding in a side lying position can help because it negates the effect of gravity on the milk flow.

I think it's great you're getting so many different tips. I really hope that one or more of them work for you.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hopefully bub will begin to settle before long, but if not, do look into the possibility of reflux, or it coul.d be colic unfortunately.

Takecare and i hope you both start getting some sleeep really soon.