+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default She wont stop crying.

Im exhausted my 2 week old wont settle, i dont know what to do. I have had 2 hour sleep since 10am yesterday. She sleeps for 10 mins I put her down and she starts screaming. I have fed her, bathed her, changed her bum, nursed her to sleep, let her cry. I dont know what to do. Im exhausted. I cant do this, I feel like I am failing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Newborns are exhausting! You are NOT failing! It sounds like you're trying your hardest and doing everything right. Just remember that the ten minutes that your DD has been getting at a time adds up so she won't feel as sleep deprived as you. Have you tried wrapping her in a light muslin? Letting her sleep in your arms for a while so she's not overtired? Another thread contained some useful info on how baby sleep cycles work so perhaps you are putting her down a bit too soon so she wakes up?
    Last edited by Penny88; 09-01-2012 at 13:50.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Penny88 For This Useful Post:

MissJa  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi you are not failing, babys are hard work.
    It does get easier to figure out why they are crying and what you can do to help.

How long since she has done a poo? She could be constipated, of so you can rub her belly in clockwise (i think its clockwise, you better google it) motions and mover her legs around gently like she is riding a bike to ease tummy pains.

She may have gas and need a good burp.

Try walking with her outside, a bit of fresh air and diff scenery might help.

How about giving her a warm bath to sooth her?

Dont hestitat to call your maternal health nurse or ask a relative to help.
    Becoming a mum is scary and overwhelming particualry the first few weeks.
    Also your hormones and such are still all over the shop at this stage and can make you feel teary, sad, overwhelmed and anxious and depressed.

Walking helped me feel better.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thunderstorm For This Useful Post:

Brunfelsia Dreaming  (09-01-2012),MissJa  (09-01-2012),mrswhitehouse  (09-01-2012),trishalishous  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You don't sound like your failing. Doing all you have stated is actually doing what your suppose to! Bubs is so so so tiny and will probably not like being put down, maybe she feels insecure, after being in a nice cozy place for the last 9m it's hard for them to adjust to the outside world. Have you got any help so you can just focus on the feeding part? Get some sleep while someone else has a hold but babies have small tummies at this age, they need to be fed constantly! It eventually does die down. Has ur milk come in? Perhaps it hasn't established yet? The worst thing you can do is let her cry, crying is a babies form of communication. Have you tried wrapping her? A dummy? Wearing her in a baby wrap? If all else fails my trick is to take a shower with them, if you sit on the floor, bubs back to the shower so the water running relaxes them ect always has worked for all 3 of my girls... If you can find some tutorials of feeding while laying down then you maybe able to take her to bed and sleep while u feed her, fall asleep together etc...

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

MissJa  (09-01-2012),Thunderstorm  (09-01-2012),trishalishous  (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Aww first of all you are most certaintly not a failure. My Ds was and still is exactley the same, me and DH had to move in with my mum for 3 weeks when he was 2 weeks old as we were wrecks and felt like failures. My mums help was amazing. Some babies are just hard to settle, its upsetting but you are not alone. Vent as much as you need I know exactly how u feel.
    If u have done everything under the sun then all you can do is cuddle and pray bubs settles. We were so convinced there was something wrong with him we took DS to a paed and turns out other than reflux, he is petfectly fine.

After the 3 weeks at my mums place even she agreed he was difficult. We still always have struggles with him but you just have to know eventually they will settle. Im sorry you are going through this I know exactly how you feel. If you have help around you dont be afraid to ask, and also dont blame yourself, you look like you are an amazing mum

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

MissJa  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The first 6 weeks with a newborn are REALLY exhausting. Don't be hard on yourself, you are doing a great job!

As others have said, if she is only 2 weeks old, she just might not like being put down. A lot of young babies will wake up when you put them down and cry because they are still tired and want to sleep but can't do it by themselves. My DD is 11 weeks and still spends half the day in my arms! When you have a newborn, all you should be thinking about is feeding her and cuddling her. Put everything else on the backburner (housecleaning, cooking, entertaining guests etc) and just cuddle your beautiful baby. Is your DP still home? Have you got friends and family around? Get them to take turns being the cuddler so you can get a break, have a shower, go for a walk, eat something, have a nap... and when you are holding her/feeding ask them to do a load of washing, or the shopping.
    It's still very early days. Things will get LOTS easier. I promise.

PS, get a copy of The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD. It's a life saver!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lucy in the Sky For This Useful Post:

Brunfelsia Dreaming  (09-01-2012),MissJa  (09-01-2012),Mrs Leto  (10-01-2012),wrena  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

She might be going through a growth spurt. Babies can be hard to settle & may want to cluster feed or feed constantly over 24-48 hours. Growth spurts occur at day 2 and around 2 to 3 weeks, 5 to 6 weeks and at 3 months. Bub's suckling signals your body to make more to accommodate her growth spurt.
    Here's a link to read
    http://www.bubs.com.au/handy%20hints...purts-320.aspx

It might be worth you making an appointment with your local child health clinic nurse.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Brunfelsia Dreaming For This Useful Post:

MissJa  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And as others have said could be a growth spurt or she may just need you to hold her for a little while as she sleeps. Oh and I promise it does and will get easier, DS may be tough still on and off but nowhere near as bad as he was. As i said in my previous post you are doing all the right things, you just have to do what works when they are so young

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Brunfelsia Dreaming  (09-01-2012),MissJa  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. My husband went back to work today. I have just put her down for the 50th time today. I just want an hours sleep and I will be happy at the moment. She has massive bags under her eyes at the moment, she is exhausted. Im doing my best not to get frustrated but its hard. I hope this doesnt last........

Thanks
    Reviews
    When i went through this with my first dd i just rocked her in pram constantly for about 2months thats what got us through and did not cause any bad habits also letting her feed with in your bed while you lie hopefully she will fall asleep and you can just go to sleep for a bit too and if she awakes i would just put her back on , you will be ok it just doesn't feel like it

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Bugs Mummy For This Useful Post:

MissJa  (09-01-2012)