+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We get 1500 a F/N with that we have to pay rent of $480 F/N phone power petrol food car loan and a few other things. Some of that is a carers so without that we would get < $1400 That is above the $500-$600 everyone is saying but try living on it. It does not work especialy when we have medical expences all the time for a sick child. What I hate is those that dont try to help themselves at all My DH does seasonal work so when he is working our income is about $2000 but when its a short season like last year we suffer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    The government gazetted minimum wage is $15.51ph or $581.63 for a 37.5 hour week

It's a shame they expect single parents to survive on less
    Yep$500 per week in the hand is manageable, less is too much of a struggle, more is a bonus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We've lived on $600 per week the last year. Our rent is $270 a week. Though the only one with medical expenses is me & fortunately the health care care pretty much covers it. So we are lucky in that respect.

There's no way though we could have lived off $600 living in Sydney. Our rent alone was $470 and that was a great price for the area. And when we looked at moving further out, the cost of commuting diminished Anything we could save moving (we lived walking distance to work so didn't own or need a car) so there are certainly places where $600 a week household income would just be basically impossible to survive for a family.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (09-01-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    $500-$600 a week sounds fair I think for PPL though I could not imagine trying to live on that as a one income family, we barely survived living on just under $800 a week for the past 8 months and we are living within our means with little debt while renting. Honestly I think minimum wage in Aus is terrible given our rent prices and fresh food costs.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

delirium  (09-01-2012),jenrose  (09-01-2012),jessesgirl  (09-01-2012),smallpotatoes  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To me it would be paying just the very necessary things like rent, food, bills and having nothing left. It would be different for everyone depending on their rent/mortgage. If you pay $400 a week you need more then someone paying $200 a week. But just generally speaking I think less the $40k for a family is minimal.
    However some people are very good with money and can make $40k work for them. But once again that is made easier if your rental payments are low. Not everyone can find rentals for $250 a week. Sydney is a very hard place to live in.
    I was looking at moving but can not find anything under $400 a week. And I can't afford that much so I'm stuck. Unless I want to move far away from DD school which isn't an option. And I was only looking at 3 bedroom units not even houses or anything like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I live off just under $500 total for the house with a schoolage child who has atism and an auto-immune disease, while I pay off a house and a car and can still put her in music lessons, swimming and gymnastics, and send her to a non-government school. Yes it is a struggle, particularly when you are used to more, but we survive. An extra $50/week would see us on a good run without the struggle.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

jessesgirl  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Honestly I think minimum wage in Aus is terrible given our rent prices and fresh food costs.
    Agreed. In some cases rental prices aren't that far off mortgage prices, but it is the poorest Australians that have to rent...

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Agreed. In some cases rental prices aren't that far off mortgage prices, but it is the poorest Australians that have to rent...
    Exactly. If you have a look at the shopping threads, most people seem to be able to live on $200 a week add in rent say $300 a week (we pay $380) That's $500 gone, never mind about utilities or anything like that, it's disgusting, I'm not surprised we have homeless families and people going without food on a regular basis.

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We were living on $500 a week 5 years ago and the only way we survived was by racking up a huge credit card debt I'm still paying off. We were living in Canberra and rent alone was $300 for an ordinary unit. We tried applying for other places but the rental market there was insane and we kept getting knocked back. After rent, there wasn't anything left for bills and heating is expensive.

Its not an easy way to live, that's for sure and I'm very grateful we no longer have to survive on that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think $500 - $600 per week is minimum income IMO. And I think that is a fair rate of Government paid PPL. Though, I do think it would be extremely hard if one minimum income was all that the family was living on. For example, we couldn't live off PPL alone, though Our rent is $420 a week. Our bills are $206 a week (not including groceries). Though, I guess if we had to, we could get a place that was cheaper and further out, get rid of our PHI and look at ******lining our phone accounts. The only debt is our HECS debts which would be on hold if we were getting paid minimum wage.