+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Witwicky - yeah I found accomodation overall to be pretty expensive. Some places more than others (Venice especially!!!)

Forkie - we are doing a few transfers by train, so hopefully will be fun. We are in Rome 5 nights all up (2 nights before cruise, then 3 nights after it), and yes I have heard you need a seperate budget for Gelato

We are going to Naples .. well, staying in Sorrento to see the Amalfi Coast and Pompei so that should be awesome.

Girl X - thanks. We are going to Disneyland too so DD is very excited about seeing the Disney Princesses. We are hiring a car in France, but Italy scares me a bit so not driving there. DH has family in Northern Italy, so they can drive us around a bit though

As for clothes, should I take a shawl/cardi type thing maybe?

Thanks for the tips about Paris. Keep them coming

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    Itinerary is
    - 8 nights in Paris (incl day trips to Champagne and Brussels)
    - 3 nights in Loire Valley (with all the chateaux n stuff)
    - 3 nights Provence (South of France)
    - 4 nights Venice
    - 6 nights Lake Como (northern Italy near Swiss border) DH has family here.
    - 4 nights Amalfi Coast (via Napoli for Pizza ) incl day trip to Pompei
    - 2 nights Rome
    - 7 night cruise (Sicily, Greece, Turkey)
    - 3 nights Rome
    and then home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm jealous too! You will have an amazing time and I am sure your daughter will be an angel! We went for 10 weeks to Europe last year when DD was just about to turn 2.

I second the advice about apartments. They are great. And generally if you book over the bigger websites I have never had a problem and our accommodation was just lovely. Our family can only do hotels for a night or two at most - just no where to move and plus having an apartment means you can have meals at home.

As for keeping your DD happy - plane is easy, take a DVD player and Ipod with kids apps and she will be totally excited to be on the plane I am sure. I wouldn't worry too much, toddlers are hard work, but a 6 year old should be easy!

When you are planning your days in Europe, I would just make sure that you have a kids activity or two in mind to break up the day - even just a park trip. I also found that taking the Ipod means that during times when your DD does get tired and cranky you can at least keep her occupied with a quick game while you are waiting/on the train.

The main challenge that I can think of would be that you obviously can't put your DD in a pram, but she probably can't walk long distances without getting tired. We will have that consideration too soon, even a 10 minute walk to get somewhere can be very slow with kids!! But I am sure if you plan lots of rests you will be fine.

Paris has some WONDERFUL activities for kids, but it's not really easy to find them all, someone lent me an old book which had loads of activities for kids. Dolls museums, lots of parks to wander around, and they also have boat trips on the seine etc which are great for kids. Rome is a bit more challenging, not so many parks but they do have lots of gelato

Have a wonderful wonderful time planning your trip. Absolutely nothing to worry about you will have the time of your life

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitty10 For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    PS - just read your itinerary. The loire valley is made for little girls and their princess dreams! You won't have anything to worry about there plenty to keep your DD happy.......so jealous

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    yeah we are staying in a chateau right next to a major castle ... she is so excited

(here)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No wonder! Super posh....how exciting

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    yeah we are staying in a chateau right next to a major castle ... she is so excited

(here)

Fancy schmancy!!!

We're off to Disneyland too...except I think we're doing public transport in France and hiring a car in Italy (I'm so NOT driving! My BIL is Italian so he can have the honour).

There are tickets to Disneyland which include return transfers from certain locations, so I may look into that.

Has anyone who has done Paris Disneyland also been to the original in California? I adore the original - I'm worried the Paris one will disappoint in comparison! The kids will love it either way though I suppose.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am soooo jealous of your itinerary Katie's Mum!

If I could go travelling again tomorrow I would.

Lake Como is beautiful My favourite place in Eataly is the Cinque Terre though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Make sure you have travel insurance and a credit card for emergencies.

Your holiday sounds awesome. Have a great time.

And don't worry 6yr olds are good on planes. Movie after movie.. Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    From what I have read, Disneyland has a pretty major train station (both RER and TGV), so we will get the train. The tickets which include transfers are much more expensive, and the timing is difficult.

We have been to Disney World in Florida, (without kids though ) and one thing was that when we were ready to go home, we were really ready. Not wanting to hang around for a set pick up time. Another day we wanted to stay longer as it was 4th July and they had major fireworks etc ... and we couldnt change the pick up time.

The Lake Como part I am really excited about actually. We are staying in Bellagio which should be lovely. There is this amazing scenic rail trip from Tirano to St Moritz in the Swiss Alps that we are doing as well. So excited.

I have read heaps of things saying pickpockets are a huge problem. Is it really that bad? How is it with luggage on the trains and stuff?

DD is pretty good and well behaved, but some of the train stations in Paris worry me a bit.