+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Talking Europe with Kids

Well I have finally decided on dates, itinerary and actually got off my rear end and booked things for our big trip to Europe next year (oh wait - I mean THIS year .... scary)

We have been planning for a while, and now it is actually happening I am starting to get a bit nervous.

We are going for 6 weeks to France and Italy with a week-long cruise to Greece and Turkey as well.

SO ..... anyone with tips for
    - surviving a hellish 20 hr plane trip with a 6 year old,
    - ideas about train travel and moving around Europe,
    - general traveling and long holidays with children
    - activites for kids in Paris, Rome and Venice

or any other general stuff to share .... please help me!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just wanna say I'm jealous haha.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EmPowering For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (09-01-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    I just wanna say I'm jealous haha.
    Me too!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subscribing. I'm off to Europe in May...the boys will be one and three.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Snacks,new and old toys/books/DVDs for plane.A 6 year old will love the tv screens in the back of each seat so that should keep them pretty entertained.

We found that apartments were the best type of accommodation as you could cook, have more space, stay in if you needed or wanted to, have own rooms etc. It was also cost effective and it was fun to shop in the local supermarkets/ delis and feel like a local.

If you have not done so already use the forum on trip advisor website for information on activities for kids. from memory there is a website for Paris dedicated to children's activities.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (08-01-2012)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yep - we have 8 nights in Paris, so have booked an apartment there. Has some good reviews on tripadvisor, but I still am a bit nervous as its not really the same as booking a hotel room IYKWIM.

She has an ipod, and DH is a bit of a techno-junkie, so she will have various entertainment .... just that he is almost as much of a child as she is, so traveling with 2 whingy, whiney children ....

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've heard apartments are the way to go in Paris too.

Any advice as to how much we should be allocating for food and accomm elsewhere? Along with France we're also off to Italy, Czech Republic & Austria. Will $150 a night be adequate for accommodation? I have no idea how much money we should be taking...

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awesome! I haven't been with kids since I was a kid myself and went with my brothers.

Just wanted to say, trains and such are FANTASTIC in Paris and in Italy, but not in cities so much as getting to and from cities. It's SO easy to get a train to Florence from Rome, for example, but the Metro in Rome is rubbish so unless DD is a good walker, be prepared to either pay for cabs to get to the further away places.

How long are you in Roma for? Can I suggest a day trip to Napoli? Best pizza in the world!!! I got bored easily in Rome! There's a really amazing gelateria called San Crispiano (I think!) near the Travelly Fountain which you should definitely give a shot!

If you want to do Sistine Chapel or Vatican City go really early as the queues are shocking! and don't forget they're not open to the public on Sundays!!

Also, go to the island of Burano in Venice it's so colourful and kids can run around and it's awesome!

I'm not sure if it'll be open yet, but on the banks of the Seine they do Paris Plage which is where they turn it into a beach front which is fun to walk along but it might be too early in the season.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (09-01-2012),Luna Lovegood  (09-01-2012),Witwicky  (09-01-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know about accommodation, but food in Paris and Italy was fairly comparable IMO to here.

I was pretty broke by the end, and would live off punnets of fresh tomatoes. When I ate out though, that's what I found.

In Venice and really touristy areas, if you move further into the lanes (away from the touristy restaurants), food is much cheaper!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay! What a great trip! I've done lots of travelling around Europe, but all pre-kids.

Don't forget Disneyland Paris! About 1hr outside Paris on the RER line (which you can catch from the metro).

Europe is pretty easy to get around. We did it all by driving, although the roads in Italy were somewhat lively!

Be prepared to have your shoulders covered to enter religious buildings. T-shirt is fine, but most places won't allow strappy/ vest type tops or dresses.

Montmartre (Paris) is a lovely area to walk around. There's the Sacre Coeur there, but then if the kids get bored there is a park outside with lots of street artists that do caricatures and things that may entertain them.

Also in Paris there's a place called Musee de l'Holographie at Forum des Halles. It's a great place for kids, as it's full of weird hologram pictures that change as you walk around. I went there as a kid and loved it.

The Louvre is ginormous, so may be worth going over a few days as it's lots of walking, and a bit tiring for kids.

Venice is very expensive, but you can barter down the gondoliers for a cheaper ride at the end of the day! If you eat in St Mark's Square then prepare to be charged for things you may not expect. We were once charged extra for 'musica' - as there was a band playing nearby!

Have an awesome time.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post: