+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pointing and screaming!

The last few days, DD who's almost 2 has started pointing and screaming at things she wants, its sooo frustrating. She can ask for stuff, has been for months.

Tonight in the bath she pointed at her rubber duck and screeched like a banshee until I gave it to her. It hurts my ears!

Is this just another phase of the terrible 2's?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing, same in our house! Its hard to listen to at times.

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My almost two in 12 days DS does this allll day however hes not talking yet so has to communicate via other methods, which is also pointing and WHINING !!

Perhaps this is just more fun for your DD than using her words lol , I'm sure it will pass as the next annoying thing they do rolls along !!

Sent from my iPhone

Me  Dh
    DS -23 months 
    DD - 9 months 

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine did that too. I would say "use your words. I don't know what you want" (even though it was obvious).

Once he spoke then I'd hand it over.

It is bl00dy annoying but he eventually got the idea.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnymummy For This Useful Post:

VintageLover  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 13 month old does this all day long. She has no words yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My two and a half year old has just started doing this (she did it before she could speak, but can speak perfectly well now...) only she will cry and when I pick her up start pointing. If I don't move she literally almost falls out of my arms.

I ask her to say what she wants, and pretend I don't understand, but I am not consistent with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD tried that after picking it up from a friend. Every time she did it. I just said.. "We use words to get what we want" and things like that. I NEVER gave in. Didn't last long at all.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Agree with other pp my 2.5 tries this and I refuse until she uses at least some language that than I'll encourage her to keep extending. I'll say you can ask for that, or I don't understand what your saying? Or I'll say you could say can I have ...mummy. If she is stubborn she will only use a one or two words sentence than as I'm passing it I'll be adding words that she repeats so it's a full sentence. Hope that makes sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I tried today to make her ask for what she wanted. She went 3 hours before she would ask for a drink of juice! She then tried the point and scream stunt when DH got home, but Daddy was already wise to her plan.

Hopefully she will cut it out soon, for the sake of our hearing!

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I ignored it and refused to give her anything, not even attention, until she used her words.

It led to some epic hissy fits that I'm sure altered the spinning of the earth but she learned that she didn't get a thing until she spoke for it.
    I was more understanding if I knew she couldn't remember the word, I'd hold the item in my hand and repeat the word until she at least attempted to mimic my words. Then she was rewarded with the toy/food.

But then again, I raised and trained dogs long before I had a baby, so I keep to the same principals.