+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Non-hormonal contraception options?

I currently have the implanon in and have had it for about 10 years apart from when I was pregnant with DD. I am getting sick of being on hormones (af visiting every 2 weeks) and would like to find alternative contraception that is also reliable. I have had issues with anxiety and depression over the last few years and had severe ante-natal depression and anxiety. I was told this was related to the pregnancy hormones and it got better once DD was born. I am thinking that the hormones in contraception are only making this worse and I would like to try to reduce my anxiety meds sometime soon. I got the implanon put back in at the 6 week check up and have found this time more difficult in regard to symptoms.
    The biggest issue I have is that I also have a latex allergy which limits my options a bit. I have also had issues on the pill - moodiness mainly.

I was wondering about the non-hormonal iud - is that safe if I want to have another child?

Also is there a latex free diaphragm? I know their success rate isn't as high but I am willing to give anything a go.

Another pregnancy wouldn't be disastrous but I certainly are not planning one just yet.

TIA

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Afaik they don't rec the copper iud unless u think your done having kiddies but u could always ask, I'm not sure if I'm done but I do want to be a GS (I'm still working on hubby) so its something I am hesitant to do...I'm so torn! I wish we could just switch off egg production

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is a plastic iud that's chemical free. Can't remember what it's called, but only lasts 2 years, not 3.
    Or there's the cervical cap, not sure if they make a latex free one or what it's made of??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you considered the natural family planning (NFP) options?

There is plenty of research available if you do a quick google search, especially about the Billings Method. There is also an unobtrusive ovulation predictor (it uses a spot of your saliva on a lipstick sized microscope) which is 95% effective - much better odds than condoms and only slightly less effective than the pill.

The way these work is that they pinpoint your ovulation time (approx 5 - 7 days). If you know you're fertile then and refrain from dtd, you can go for it afterwards (about 2 weeks).

These methods do work but require a little bit of practise and self-control (eg. your libido is likely to be highest around ovulation time!) and you're not putting / doing anything unnatural to your body.

BTW, ignore the number of children I have in judging the effectiveness of NFP as I know the theory but am too lazy / casual to apply it!
    Last edited by mrsd; 13-01-2012 at 22:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the copper IUD put in - my ob didn't say it would effect any future baby making he just said to only put it in if we would be waiting at least 3 years for next bub - which we will be.

And I also told him I didn't want the pill or anything hormonal - I was happy to try Mirena but because of some Gyno complications he recommended the copper.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was in the same position; after many years on the pill until we had DS3, we decided to avoid any other hormonal contraception. Unfortunately your choices are very limited... we used condoms until I fell pregnant with DD and then DH got the snip.

ETA Ovulation predictors don't account for the fact that sperm can live for quite some time inside your body! Ovulating tomorrow? Oops, the sperm from intercourse three days ago will be ready and waiting
    Last edited by lambjam; 13-01-2012 at 23:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had the copper IUD for 3 years, no problems for me and my dr said nothing about having to have kids first ( we haven't yet).very easy option, worked perfectly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to hijack, I have the same question! I hate hormonal contraception and Billings didn't work for us - HELLO BABY IN MY TUMMY - and condoms irritate my skin (even non-latex ones).

Those who have had the copper IUD, did you get heavier, more painful periods? This is the only thing making me hesitant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Leah - I've only had heavier, but this was after I weaned DD from full time bf and my 3rd cycle after birth - so I think that had something to do with it.

No more painful than usual but before I was very lucky and didn't have painful or heavy periods anyway.

I did notice some extreme bloating when I was due but that disappeared after 2 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had slightly more cramping, and af lasted longer but the actual volume seemed the same. i dint really get much bloating, it was all normal for me, just the few days more.