Hi Will try and make this as short as possible, I need advice.
As some of you know, I've been concerned with my almost 2 year old's sons development since he was 10-11 months old. I decided to take action when he was 18 months old by getting him assessed at the child health clinic. The recommendation was to put him into daycare, which I did. 2 days per week.
A few weeks ago, the centre director had a meeting with myself and DH and told us she agrees he is delayed. She told us an inclusion officer would come to assess him (which happened on Wednesday last week) and they wanted to offer us 2 days extra (no charge) so he could have more one on one time with his favourite staff member. They're amazingly wonderful, supportive people
Anyway, the inclusion officer said she does not want to make any judgement calls at the moment and that we need to take him to a paediatrician, then give the centre the report from paediatrician and then the inclusion officer will set up whatever help is needed. Most likely government funded help (including a special needs aide) to help him whilst at daycare.
We took DS to the GP yesterday and told him we need a referral to the paediatrician and what the inclusion officer said. The GP said before he refers us to a paediatrician, he wants to refer him to have his hearing tested. He's sent a letter to the local hospital and will inform us of when an appointment becomes available.
He took DS's weight and height - both normal. However DS's head circumference is above the norm...not massively, but it's above the normal range. I have read a lot of information indicating there's a significant link between large head size in infants/toddlers and Autism.
I am unsure of whether to wait to have his hearing tested and then go and see a paediatrician (who knows how long the waiting lists are)...OR, wait for the hearing test appointment to come through (and go to that when it happens) and in the meantime see a different GP *demanding* an open referral to a paediatrician. I realise this will cost us money for every appointment (no private health insurance any more) - but can I do that? like is that an option or do I HAVE to have private health insurance?
I've heard that some of these waiting lists can be up to 2 years and there's no way I'm willing to wait 2 months let alone 2 years. I realise it will be expensive but at the moment I don't care. What do I do?