+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default First Round of IVF

Hey Ladies

Well, as much as we were hoping to avoid it DH & I have started IVF due to DH's low sperm count and the DNA oxidisaton damage that his sperm has.

We are going through Fertility First in Hurstville and so far we are loving them.

I am excited but sad at the same time. Excited for the thought that very soon we could be expecting and sad that we haven't been able to conceive naturally.

So far everything is going well. I started taking the cross over pill on the 15th December and started taking Synarel (instead of Lucrin) on the 28th December and my last day for the pill was the 4th.

My period happily (I don't think I've ever been so happy to have my period arrive) came on Saturday afternoon which means, hopefully, we will be starting the FSH Injections on Wednesday.

Which will see egg extraction and transfer for the end of the month.. YAY

I get excited at the thought that mid Feb we could be pregnant but realistic that it doesn't always work..

Happily when I had a scan at the end of last year I had 20 follicles on one ovary and 16 on the other with no cysts in sight.. So, fertility wise for me, everything is good.. It's just DH's spermies that are causing the problems..

Well, I just wanted to share my story, and hear from other ladies about their success of IVF on the first (or subsequent transfers)...

Hugs & Baby Dust to you all

Jen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good luck Jen. We are in a similar boat to you guys. It's hard and sometime I still get sad because I find ivf traumatic at times.

On a positive note we conceived out dd on 13 oct 2009 and gave birth to a happy healthy bub 9 months later. It was our first cycle!

We are now cycling again for no. 2!

Does your clinic have picsi avail? Please ask because it's great for MFI. We didn't have it avail in 2009 but will be using it this cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Nicole83

Congrats on your bubba and GL for your next cycle

Yep, our IVF charges include ICSI so we have asked them to do half normal and half ICSI to try and get some successful ones, especially if DH's boys have problems getting to where they need to be.

Jen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jeb8303,

I'm in almost the exact same boat as you, my fella has very low count so were doing our first ICSI cycle in Jan. I'm due to stop the pill for active phase in 2 weeks and start injections.

You might want to have a look at the Jumping Joyful Jan thread, lots of lovely and supportive ladies doing a cycle in Jan.

Best of luck with your cycle! Hope it works first go for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are doing ICSI as well. DP had a vasectomy 14 years ago so the chances of a successful reversal are slim. I also have PCOS so that doesnt help anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jeb8303 View Post
    Hi Nicole83

Congrats on your bubba and GL for your next cycle

Yep, our IVF charges include ICSI so we have asked them to do half normal and half ICSI to try and get some successful ones, especially if DH's boys have problems getting to where they need to be.

Jen
    Thanks Jen I wish it were a short journey for everyone.

You might have misread what I wrote: was referring to picsi with a 'p' in front if it. Google it to see what it's all about. Basically they take the sperm and put it in a dish with a special culture similar to what it on the outside of our eggs. The sperm that attempt to bind the culture are considered the most viable so it's
    a good way to weed out the weaker sperm. Which is obviously a good advantage when the issue is mfi. They then proceed to do icsi.

Personally I would want them to do all icsi/picsi rather than separating like you have described. What is their reasoning for this, if you don't mind me asking?