+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default hints, tips and your stories about baby wearing

hi all.

ds has just turned 3 months and i still can't work out how to actually get things done whilst wearing him. I own 3 different types of carriers and with all of them one arm instinctively stays around bub and i move slower than normal. Meaning i have trouble with simple things like getting the clothes out of the washing machine or bending down to put the dishes away without feeling awkward, and there's no way i can get a full day of house work done.

is this just me?

and tricks/tips for doing the awkward things?

cheers

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to southcoastmummy For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (08-01-2012),northern  (09-01-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I find back carrying is best for awkward tasks, 3 months is pretty little for back carrying in a carrier (depends what you have?) I used a woven wrap until DD was old enough to froggy her legs in the ergo on my back, she is only just now able to have her legs out the ergo.

I would just leave doing the awkward jobs until bub is happy doing playtime or to just take your timedoingthem and to remember to squat, not to bend down!

P.S you should always have one hand on bub when bending over, so your instincts are correct

4. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

southcoastmummy  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's tough, isn't it? I found that until DD was 4 months plus and had really good head control that it was quite challenging getting things done while babywearing. Once she was a bit less floppy I found it really easy to hang out washing, sweep floors, etc, but have never really got the hang of washing dishes or cooking unless bub was on my back. My partner has longer arms and used to cook all the time while wearing DD. The only tip I can think of is putting something under your washing line to put the basket on so that you don't have to bend down. In retrospect, I wish I'd let things slide a bit or just accepted that simple tasks would take longer for those first four months or so because after that everything got so much easier and I regret stressing about it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

southcoastmummy  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Other than vacuuming and sweeping I found it really hard to get anything done until I started back carrying DS.

If there is a babywearing group near you I recommend that you go to a meet - the mamas there would be able to help you with carriers and carries that would allow you to be more hands free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A little off topic, sorry OP... I love wearing my bubba when out but lately it's been warm and even tho we have the sports ergo he still gets so hot, even with only a singlet and nappy...
    I find I tend to use the pram so much because I also worry about sun exposure if we are out for a while...

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree, back carrier makes things so much easier! I use the ergo in back carrier for DS2. Prior to that, a wrap is great. I used a hugabub style wrap, which I fashioned from my own fabric. DS2 doesn't like the hugabub anymore though!

As for sun exposure, I will often use a pram if going on big walks outside - I just don't like exposing the boys to the harsh QLD sun...but when we go for walks and I do carry them, I always cover their arms and legs up and make sure they have hats on...but I do prefer to walk in the morning or afternoon just to be on the safe side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha yes people make it sound so easy don't they!! "Just chuck bub on and off you go!"

I found it too difficult to get stuff done around the house wearing bub so I just stopped doing house work! That being said though I love my carrier and couldnt have got through those early days without it as it was the only sure way to get dd to sleep.

They have they're uses just do what you can there's plenty of years of housework ahead of you!
    Last edited by Gypsybum; 08-01-2012 at 23:55.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gypsybum For This Useful Post:

beccacino  (14-01-2012),southcoastmummy  (09-01-2012),Witwicky  (09-01-2012)

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree that back carry makes it easier. I could never get my DD into a woven wrap on my back very easily, but do it in a few seconds with my beco carrier. The only things i struggle with are trying to get her head supported when she falls asleep, and the heat lately. But yes. Back carry for the win.

Oh and I walk with an umbrella to keep the sun off us both