+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default The C25K Thread!

I've just started the c25k challenge, which is basically a running program designed to get you from the couch to being able to run 5km non stop in a matter of 9 weeks!

I am not doing it for weight loss - just for fitness, but I reckon it would be good for weight loss too if that's how you want to use it.

Does anyone want to join me?

I'm only on Day 2, and I have downloaded some awesome iPod tracks that tell me when to walk and when to run (I can get the link if anyone is interested).

I made a bit of a mistake though, and have accidentally started on Week 2, and mixed up which tracks I should run to and which I should walk to ... Which means I've started on running 2 mins and walking 90 seconds instead of starting on running 60 seconds and walking 90 seconds.

I hope that doesn't matter? Trust me to not be able to figure out the system!

I plan to do it about 3 times a week. If anyone else is interested it would be awesome to support each other and share our triumphs when we reach them
    Last edited by Shoopuf; 08-01-2012 at 08:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so in! I just printed off the programme. Would love to know where to get the itunes tracks. I love running but it's been a long time and I'm really unfit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome!

When are you planning on starting?

You can download the tracks I've got for free here.

Oh I'm so excited to have someone else wanting to join in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Good luck guys! I finished the program last year, can now run 60min, almost 10k It's a really great program and easy to stick to

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is fantastic MothersInstinct! Well done you!

How long has it taken you to get to the 10km mark? I would love to run the City2Surf (14km) in August but I don't know if that's a realistic goal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the link. I'm planning on starting tomorrow. Can't wait! I've got about 4kg to lose but mostly I just want to feel fit again and follow through with a goal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Prior to C25K I was a fairly fit/active person, even though I was(not anymore though) classed as "overweight" I have been going to gym reguarly for the past 4years and play team sports aswell.
    It only took me 2 months to build myself up to 9km runs, I did the first 6(i think) weeks of the program, but felt it was fairly easy for my fitness level, I mean it wasn't a breeze and it really helped me control my breathing and get that part down pact, but I knew I could push myself harder, so once I reached week 6 I start doing my own thing, I worked my self up weekly by doing 20min week1, 25min week2, 30min week3, 40min week4, 45min week5 then 60min on week 6. But my weeks consist of 5days min, some weeks I was doing 7days straight, I think the weeks in C25K are only 3 days before going to the next week.
    Are you doing the program on the treadmill or surface? I did mine all on the treadmill, but have done some of it on the road/oval and it is much much harder then the treadmill I plan on entering some charity/fun runs this year aswell, so I think I need to practise more on surface, it's just much easier to track on the treadmill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wrena View Post
    Thanks for the link. I'm planning on starting tomorrow. Can't wait! I've got about 4kg to lose but mostly I just want to feel fit again and follow through with a goal
    Good luck! Make sure you let us know how you go!

Quote Originally Posted by MothersInstinct View Post
    Prior to C25K I was a fairly fit/active person, even though I was(not anymore though) classed as "overweight" I have been going to gym reguarly for the past 4years and play team sports aswell.
    It only took me 2 months to build myself up to 9km runs, I did the first 6(i think) weeks of the program, but felt it was fairly easy for my fitness level, I mean it wasn't a breeze and it really helped me control my breathing and get that part down pact, but I knew I could push myself harder, so once I reached week 6 I start doing my own thing, I worked my self up weekly by doing 20min week1, 25min week2, 30min week3, 40min week4, 45min week5 then 60min on week 6. But my weeks consist of 5days min, some weeks I was doing 7days straight, I think the weeks in C25K are only 3 days before going to the next week.
    Are you doing the program on the treadmill or surface? I did mine all on the treadmill, but have done some of it on the road/oval and it is much much harder then the treadmill I plan on entering some charity/fun runs this year aswell, so I think I need to practise more on surface, it's just much easier to track on the treadmill.
    That's great! I am doing mine outside on a walking/bike track. I like that there are hills and bends and a river and what not to keep me entertained.

I am a bit like you in that I am already reasonably fit - not exceptionally so, but it has not been very difficult for me to complete the back-to-front Week 2 program.

I'm doing it 3 days per week, just because I have a form of arthritis, which means my joints (and particularly my knees) really cop it when I do high impact activity so I need the recovery time. On the other days I do strength training so that I am still doing something.

I am so excited about the whole thing!! Hopefully I can build up to 10km too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm doing this too, but I need to repeat weeks to go more slowly as I have bad knees, and last time I did them in I couldn't walk without pain for a month and had to stop all physical activity for 8 weeks (I've done that twice). This time I'm determined not to hurt myself.

I'll cheer along with you all, I'll just get there later.

I'm using an iPhone app and have my own playlists running as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay! Welcome happygrl!

I know what you mean about bad knees - not fun is it? I figure it doesn't matter how slow you go ... the main thing is that you ARE going.

Where are you up to?