+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When to move to booster seat? and booster seat questions!

DD1 is 105cm tall and 15-16kg
    her shoulders sit an inch or two above the shoulder straps of her current baby seat (safe and sound cheap one thats suitable from birth to possibly 18kg).

Online research (american academy of paediatric something) suggests that lap and sash belt with a booster with seat belt guide is safer than the added harnesses that can be added to some of the seat belts. Do you agree?

apparently there are no seats on the market with built in harness for over 18kg. is this true?

which booster with seat belt guide that is narrow and reasonably priced do you recommend?

Thanks so much for answering these questions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The new maxi rider ahr has a built in harness that goes over 18kgs.
    This seat now goes by height instead of weight.
    I think we got ours for about $380

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub-that's why it's full of bad grammar and spelling mistakes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kezanazz View Post
    The new maxi rider ahr has a built in harness that goes over 18kgs.
    This seat now goes by height instead of weight.
    I think we got ours for about $380

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub-that's why it's full of bad grammar and spelling mistakes!
    HEight is more important now with the guides that are supposed to reduce parental confusion. THe inbuilt harnesses (for FF) were always tested with a 22kg dummy.

Depending on your child's age it is your choice if you put her in a dedicated booster or convertible restraint. It really depends on how responsible she would be in a lap sash. You are right in that H harnesses aren't really reccommended except for lap only seatbelts.
    Have a look at the CREP testing - the babylove ezycombo comes out really well - it actually tests better than the SNS maxirider and is significantly cheaper. Only issue is that it is wide too I think (like the maxi). THe Baby love ezycombo is $259 from baby bunting not on sale. For a dedicated booster the Hi-liner or the infasecure one both get 4 stars. I am leaning towards the infa secure one for my almost 4yo DS as it does not require the anti-sub clip to work. The armrests hold the belt low. It is cheaper by about $40 but price is not an issue, comfort and ease of use.

I am constantly surprised that the big 'brand' carseats don't always come out on top. However SNS have made a huge improvement with their meridian T &A. Look at the CREP website and you will be surprised too. This website also gives other names the carseat is known by.

Thanks
    Reviews
    how old is your little one??

having her shoulder above the straps isnt recommended, and they need to be in a 5 point harness until 4.

im looking into a convertible booster seat also, iv got the s&s maxi rider convertible booster - forward facing with the inbuilt harness - atm but my 3 year old is almost out of it (shoulders are just under the top shoulder strap) , my friend just got a 'cargo' brand convertable booster seat, i think it was the 'marathon' one...?? is looking appealing to me atm, another friend has the hipod senator, i think ill probably end up investing on one of those, but im going to do some more research before i buy one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 2yrs 9 months 107cm
    And 17 kgs, something like a maxi rider will fit your dh as that's what he is currently in, however my ds2 is outgrowing his baby seat rapidly and we are going to move him up do we were looking at the sNS hi liner to put him into as he has been in a booster in the hire car we have had and is responsible with the seatbelt, I like the high liner as its quite narrowness and is shaped to fit the seatbelt nicely around them

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was also of the thinking that once a child is over 18kgs they should be in a lapsash seat belt, IMO the guild lines are far to sketchy and confusing !

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have the SnS hi liner for dd and I love it!! It has a seat belt guide and also a anti submarine clip between the legs so if we ever have an accident dd can't slip out of the seatbelt.

It's also not overly wide so will fit in most cars and from memory we paid $200 for it which I think is quite a reasonable price.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum22 View Post
    My son is 2yrs 9 months 107cm
    And 17 kgs, something like a maxi rider will fit your dh as that's what he is currently in, however my ds2 is outgrowing his baby seat rapidly and we are going to move him up do we were looking at the sNS hi liner to put him into as he has been in a booster in the hire car we have had and is responsible with the seatbelt, I like the high liner as its quite narrowness and is shaped to fit the seatbelt nicely around them
    I know your son has sat well in a booster but I would try him in something like a babylove ezycombo or another convertible booster, prefereably one without head wings. THe 'wings' on the maxi may make it seem like your son has grown out of his booster before his time due to the fact it can 'cut into' the shoulders? OR I would look at the maxi -cosi 8-18kg seat. I have heard it can last for a long time. Try your son in the various 5 point at the shops. Even if it is jsut 6months you can use it for your next child and really you can't put a price on safety.

Also just because a booster doesn't have an 'anti-sub clip does not mean it isn't any good. Look for words like 'anti-submarine design'. Many seats have this. I am leaning towards the Max or similiar for my child as if you don't use the anti-sub clip (correctly) every time it is not as safe. Obviously a foam booster is really not reccommended and for only $60 or so more you can get top rating seats.

Good luck deciding.
    Last edited by Hullabalu; 08-01-2012 at 15:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I just re-read my post and it didnt make any sense! Sorry about that!