+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My father lives in victoria, we see him every 5 or so years.

My brother and his wife are 15 minutes away, and have been for the last 6 years. My brother has been here twice, both brief visits. His wife has never been here. I have no help from them ever, not even to collect mail or put my bin out while we're away.

My little brother is 2 hours away, and lives with his gf. They are both nice, pretty chilled, easy to get along with, but no, no help from them.

My mum is also 2 hours away. I have made a mess of my house, shifting furniture, sorting clothes, shoes, movies, books, toys, you can imagine my lounge. I can hear the lecture already if she could see it!

No, no help, just a whole lot of criticism even from afar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My parents live down the street! I love it, DS really loves it, mum is a huge help without being intrusive , she probably sees DS daily and has him every Saturday night for a few hours ( has done since he was 3 months old!) my brother lives in Melbourne but we see him monthly and my sister lives about 30 mins away and we see her weekly, both DH sisters live 10 mins away and his parents live up the coast and we see them about every 6 weeks so we are very very lucky to have loads of relatives ( that we like!) close by

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm seven hours drive away from my parents and three hours away from my bro, aunts, uncles, cousins etc...

My IL's live 20 minutes away but they aren't super helpful IYKWIM?

It's hard being away from my family, but we see them3-4 times a year and for decent periods of time - when I was away for 8weeks with DS2, my Dad took carers leave and stayed at the farm for two months to help DH with DD and DS1, so if I need them, they'll literally drop everything to come and help.

I do wish I could just drop round and see my folks, or hang out with my bro and SIL whenever I wanted to - I miss them!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I live with my younger sister and near my Dad. It's wonderful, they are a huge support to me. I see my younger sister daily (obviously!), and my Dad once or twice a week. It would be more except he lives on the other side of town.

I live two days drive away from my Mum and therefore our relationship is good. When we live in the same town, it suffers. I don't live near my older sister but it wouldn't matter regardless - when I lived in the same town, I only saw her at special events.

My sister and I (who I live with) lived in different states last year and it was hell - never again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We live in the same street as my older brother, a house away actually. Can be a bit close at times but we watch each others children sometimes so each couple gets a little bit of time away together. My Mum lives less than a km away, not really supportive as my brother and I care for her, take her to medical appointments etc. She is good to talk to occasionally, though thinks her way is the best all the time, I just go with the flow. The IL's live about 10 mins away, as does SIL and they are great when it comes to helping out with anything. FIL is so handy with reno's and helping DP with things I know nothing about. MIL and FIL play a very active role in our boys life, it's really lovely.....4 years ago I would never have even said that, lol.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've be living with my parents in about two weeks. It will be for a minimum of 18 moths. Although I will get a lot of help and that will be great, I like living by myself, so I think I will be over it in about a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. Either a 15 hour drive or a 2 hour flight and 3 hour drive from my family. Both our families. It's really hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I live 4 houses away from my mum, and see my grandad (who is more like a father to me) every Monday and Wednesday at least. Mum is ok for emotional support but when it cones to help with the kids she runs a mile. Grandad helps with the kids when can, normally he will only look after DD2 as DD1 is a bit of a handful for him (he is 73) and he can't handle both at the one time. My dads parents live close as well but I try to avoid them if I can (not easy when they rock up unannounced a LOT... But that's another story).

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    I live with my Mum lol. The furtheredt I have been away from my family is about 1200km and that was for 3 months. I coped better then I thought but missed them heaps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live one street away from my parents, 10 mins from the in laws. All of our siblings live close too. I have one sister dh has 2 brothers and three sisters. We love having them all so close, they'd all love to have dd if we needed them to but we rarely need her looked after. We never do anything on our own lol