+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    There are ways around it, too, like removing it first before carrying out the attack.
    For sure. I dont think anyone, including the maker, is claiming its going to do a damn thing....but its better than nothing.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (07-01-2012),Lollie1990  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I agree that the situation there is quite different to here. It is supposed to cause so much pain that the attacker cannot go and bash the woman for hurting him... it supposedly gives her time to escape.

Of course, in the situation of gang rape it may not work as well, but gang rape wouldn't end well with or without this thing anyway.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I disagree that it's 'brilliant' and the like for Africa. Yes, there are extremely high cases of rape and crime in Africa (I'm fairly certain the democratic republic of Congo has the highest rate of rape on the planet).

BUT this device will cause more problems than it will solve. It will become common knowledge that women are wearing these devices, and I believe they will

A) Probably get raped anally instead, the vagina will be disregarded completely in terms of rape,
    B) Likely have foreign objects inserted into their vaginas prior to rape to 'test' whether the device is inside (and if it's in there, heaven help the woman), and
    C) Likely be the subject of intense violent atrocities which MAY NOT occur otherwise (yes - they are often subject to such violence after rape anyway, but I think this would almost guarantee it).

Not to mention gang rape.

It's a bad idea.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Statistically, the most effective defense against stranger rape is a firearm ... but they're simply not practical in most countries.

Many years ago my wife worked in a dangerous part of town (back in Auckland). Where we lived wasn't so great either; several women had been taken at knife-point and (fortunately only) forced to withdraw cash from ATMs.

So, I bought her one of these:

http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php

... which IMO is a very good design for a defensive weapon. It's small, and easily concealable. Once you've got it on your fingers, it's pretty much impossible to disarm. And it comes with a 'bra sheath' ... basically like a holster that clips to your bra, under your top. You can even get blunt trainers.

My wife and I did some force-on-force training with it, & we determined that even with her upper arms completely immobilised in a bear-hug from behind, she could still draw the HAK and attack with it to the upper legs and lower toso.

It may sound callous, but: if you fight back against a would-be rapist, you're not in danger of a more violent attack if you incapacitate him.

Anyhoo ... I'm glad to be living in Melbourne these days, and a little less paranoid myself

(Also, a side note: in many countries, and I think Australia is one, most rapes are perpetrated by someone well-known to the victim . In which case, no amount of technology will help.)
    Last edited by duncan_bayne; 07-01-2012 at 18:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with Bell and Bug on the issue. I remember thinking it was great when I first heard about it (it's not new, I think she has only just funded them personally to come out now, she had invented them a while ago and no one would touch the device to fund it). I first heard about it as a study topic, so at first I was thinking "what a great idea" but then we delved into and found that there were far more negatives than positives and that the product is very flawed for a number of different reasons, some that bell and bug has mentioned, but also others such as bigger social reasons not just case by case reasons. (sorry to be so vague, it was years ago) anyway by the time we had concluded the topic and subject, I just remember thinking what a bad idea it was. A lot of prominent organisations had also spoken out against it being distributed, and as far as I can tell the device is exactly the same still, so I wonder if the same places are still against it being made available or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    Nothing is done about rape and murder in South Africa, hence why its such an issue. I think the point of the device is to stop the rape itself due to the male being incapable of having sex. In a perfect world they would get caught and go to jail, but this is Africa we are talking about.
    That was one of the issues in some of the areas. That it was against some kind of laws for the woman to use this and they could be legally punished in most places for using the device, and because no rape would have occured (if the device is successful), she would be in jail for using the device as it isn't self defence etc and no crime had been committed against her, but she had committed one against the man.

Then the second thing was that even if the man was caught with the device, it isn't some legally binding contract that it means he goes to jail, so essentially it meant nothing and police wouldn't charge him for having the device on him or being medically removed. (not sure if this has changed, it was just one of the problems back when I studied it)

Then of course socially, welfare groups in the area don't think it would be accepted by the womens friends and family and that even a woman not at risk of being raped could be beaten by men in their own family for owning one.