+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For Africa, I think it's brilliant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The way you live in South Africa consist of this: bobed wired fences around your house, electrified gates, steel bars on your houses windows, a very good security system because the police sure as hell wont help you! Big dogs. They will most probably get poisend anyway and your doors are always locked. With bolted locks and they still seem to get in and rape, kill and steel your stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Our family has friends who migrated here from South Africa basically to protect their 3 young daughters, the stories they tell are horrendous so yes it sounds extreme but the crime rate for rape in South Africa is extreme

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollie1990 View Post
    I have lived in South Africa for 16 years of my life and I think its a wonderful idea. They hurt or kill you anyway after they have raped you there and in South Africa you always need to think the worse is gonna happen because it probably will. So I would say its a wonderful idea! Let them suffer!
    I'm from South Africa too and I think the opposite. I think it potentially could make it worse for you if you had this device. And if they are going to kill you anyway, what's the point? If you get raped, you will probably get killed. You try protect yourself and you will get yourself killed.
    And it would just provoke rapists to rape in other ways, anally and orally.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    I'm from South Africa too and I think the opposite. I think it potentially could make it worse for you if you had this device. And if they are going to kill you anyway, what's the point? If you get raped, you will probably get killed. You try protect yourself and you will get yourself killed.
    And it would just provoke rapists to rape in other ways, anally and orally.
    I guess the one consolation (if there is such a thing in that situation) is the man needs to get the device removed by a doctor, in doing that he'll be caught possibly stopping further assaults by that man.

Although there would probably end up being some underground operation that would remove it 'no questions asked'.

There's also the issue of women themselves abusing the device and 'trapping' innocent men.

Hrmm.. It's a toughie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoss View Post
    I guess the one consolation (if there is such a thing in that situation) is the man needs to get the device removed by a doctor, in doing that he'll be caught possibly stopping further assaults by that man.

Although there would probably end up being some underground operation that would remove it 'no questions asked'.

There's also the issue of women themselves abusing the device and 'trapping' innocent men.

Hrmm.. It's a toughie.
    Nothing is done about rape and murder in South Africa, hence why its such an issue. I think the point of the device is to stop the rape itself due to the male being incapable of having sex. In a perfect world they would get caught and go to jail, but this is Africa we are talking about.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (07-01-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    For South Africa especially, I think it's a great idea. A hell of a lot of rapes in SA end in death for the woman anyway so for me the risk of violence incited after 'catching' a man would probably outweigh the risk of being raped and killed without it...because both scenarios are horrible, but at least one results in authories being somewhat involved. Although having said that...'authorities' are just as questionable - I had my phone stolen by the police when I was in South Africa. Awesome!

When I was in Johannesburg, I had to get a taxi to the service station NEXT DOOR to where I was staying because it just wasn't safe to walk the 200 metres, being a white female.

Generally, in everyday societies? Not so much.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe they are hoping that the sheer fact that the woman MIGHT be wearing one will be enough of a reason for the attacker to consider if its worth it or not. The possibility of MAYBE having to go to a doctor to get one removed might be enough to stop 'some' of them or make them at least rethink their plans...but I do agree that in the grand scheme of things it wont change much.
    We have friends in South Africa and the stories are mind boggling.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are ways around it, too, like removing it first before carrying out the attack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Kudos to the Doctor who invented it, I am sure she would have come up with so much opposition and blockages to even get the device made in the first place.

Extremely sad that we live in a world where something like this is even a possibility.