+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    After all that, I sincerely hope she actually does donate the money to the children in the Congo and not to her own purse. By the sounds of her, I wouldn't be surprised if she slipped it in her shoe as her 'commission'.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I once signed up for the heart foundation {heart tick foundation?} for a monthly deposit, but I only gave my name, address and phone number as I wanted someone from the head office, so to speak, to call me so I could discuss the finer print with them about the deposit conditions.
    The guy sent me on my way and said someone will call me.

Someone did call me, but it was to get my bank details. I said no, I'm not giving my bank details until I talk to someone about the fine print so I know my rights. I don't have much money and I'd like to know I can stop the payments at any time if I so wish.
    They hung up without a further word.

Next day, someone else called me, asking for bank details. I repeated the above statement.
    Hung up on.

The next phone call was someone telling me that my bank details were wrong, and they needed me to give them the information again. I said I hadn't given my details yet, and could they please put me through to somebody whom would explain how they got my details without my permission.
    Hung up on.

From then on, I got about 6-10 calls every day, on my mobile or home phone. Odd, because I only ever gave them my mobile number. After the next lot were variations on the three calls I'd already gotten, I started simply hanging up on the calls. This went on for about two weeks. The list from Optus of incoming calls was several pages long.
    When I woke up at 2am from a phone call where a lady told me to give her my bank details RIGHT NOW TODAY, which I hung up on, I called the ombudsman, sent them the Optus list and reported them.

I never heard a word back from anyone about the issue but I hope it was taken care of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm almost 100% certain this woman has pocketed the money now.

Hard lesson learned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Naboo View Post
    I'm almost 100% certain this woman has pocketed the money now.

Hard lesson learned.
    Awww , don't worry, you have paid it forward, so something good will happen to you in return.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (07-01-2012),Naboo  (08-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How rude!

I had the people who get you to sponsor the african kids who are really malnourished (the ones who set up in shops with the orange signs/posters etc) come to my door when i was just 18 (at my parents house) and bully me into agreeing to donate $30 a month to them, I was standing at the door saying no, i don't have the money and the guy kept going on and on at me.

I ended up signing up (still not 100% sure on how it actually happened), but i can remember when i called them back a few months later (When i finally got to a point where i was going into debt because of it) the guy on the phone told me that i was a bad person for stopping it and that one day i'd regret it coz something bad would happen... I was 18, struggling to pay for everything and i felt like a monster!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I havent read all the replies, but one time I was in the shopping mall, pushing a baby in the pram, and carrying a tired and grumpy 2 y/o and a woman tries to stop me to talk about the environment. I seriously didnt have the time or the energy and said "I'm sorry but I dont have time" and she started mouthing off saying "dont you care about the environment. dont you care about the world you are bringing your children into". So, told her very loudly "no actually I dont, in fact on weekends I burn rubber tyres in my back yard incinerator just to see how much black smoke I can send into the sky". She soon shut up and I felt a lot better.

For the record I dont have an incinerator in my back yard .... I just thought she was totally ridiculous for trying to stop me when clearly I was not in a position to chat to her, so I gave her a totally ridiculous response to her totally unnecessary question.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    If she was trying to sign you up for something, then she was probably narky because she can't get commission from your donation. The 'charity workers' who are signing you up are usually paid and get paid based on how many people they sign up which is why most of them do a hard sell. They aren't really doing it because they are passionate about the cause.
    ^^^this .. exactly this. they don't tell you the truth, that they're actually making commission off how many people they sign up. I did that job for two days & was horrified. we were meant to lie and say that there whole $30 a month sponsorship was going to the charity, when in fact I was receiving a commission. it's horrible in my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had someone question me when I said I couldn't afford to make a regular monthly contribution minimum $40, I dont work, partner studies, i have a toddler and Im expected a baby soon. I said I've got $20 on me I'll happily hand over to the charity, but I can't commit to regular payments. She just couldn't grasp that $40 a month it huge, she was trying the 'it's just $10 a week' etc and referring back to starving people in africa. I already contribute $20 a month to another organisation.

And yeah it's not about starving children in Africa to them, it's commission. When I worked in sales myself (and sucked!!) I saw the same guy every day for a week everyone ignoring him so on the Friday stopped to talk to him, he was working for something that didn't interest me, i said I'd sign up but I just don't care enough tbh, I just stopped because I felt bad for him because I worked in telemarketing at the time... He told me if I sign up and then cancel it, he still gets a commission - so I actually did. Filled out all my info & then called and canceled before anything came out of my account. Admittedly - I was 19 at the time, I'd not do it now though, but for a lot of people it is just a job (a sucky job) and a commission.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Same thing happened to me too booby. I had a lady knock on my door and when i told her i couldnt afford it, she kept going on about how it didnt start til january. I explained to her 4 times that my financial situation wont change between dec to jan. In the end i shut the door on her as i couldnt keep explaining to her i couldnt afford it.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's terrible, you poor thing. I can definitely relate to $20 being a lot of money to donate.

I don't personally donate to doorknockers. When I was in highschool I used to volunteer time to doornock for a few organisations, including the salvos, and I was horrified to learn that some of my peers who were doorknocking as well were pocketing some of the money They would pretty much pretend that some of the houses hadn't donated anything. I reported it, but it still happened.

A huge amount of trust goes into donating money, and it's absolutely disgraceful when that trust gets abused.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (07-01-2012)