+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rude Ungrateful Charity Worker

Hi

I just need to vent here because something happened which has quite upset me. I had a charity worker knocking at my door. The charity was to sponsor children in the Congo for a minimum of 2 months.

I explained that we were not in a financial position to sponsor anyone at the moment, but we would be willing to give a donation to the cause. The woman did not seem to enthusiastic about this but didn't decline.

I went to my purse thinking I had $10 in there but only had a $20. So I bit the bullet and took it out to her. $20 is ALOT of money in my house at the moment. I gave her the money with a smile and she took it, lips pressed together going "hmmm' with a really ungrateful, annoyed look on her face. Like $20 wasn't enough! She didn't even thank me!! I was so shocked! I was like, 'is there a problem' and she is like 'oh no this will help save someone's life' as she was walking away. WTF!!!

I wasn't expecting anything special. Just a thank you and a smile would have been nice. Instead I just got attitude that my donation wasn't enough! A $20 donation is a $20 donation! It's really upset me to be honest. I feel like I just threw $20 away. I didn't get any pleasure giving in this instance.

Please tell me I'm being stupid or something if you think I am. It's annoyed me so much I actually want someone to tell me to get over it.

Or agree with me haha! Vent over!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    how rude! they should be grateful for any donation when times are hard for a lot of people at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That would really annoy me too!

I remember once make a wish was asking for people to donate. I had cash on me at the time and was willing to donate that, and they actually refused and said it HAD to be a minimum of $30 a month and be direct debited! While I'll donate when I can I just can't justify that every month!

Some charities have forgotten the meaning I think!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That would make me cross. Things like that put people off donating anything. I remember once, years ago, I was in a cafe in St Kilda, and a lady who was deaf came up to me. She was handing our little cards that said something like, "I'm deaf, please help", and had sign language alphabet on it. Anyway she had a tin and was collecting money. I was very broke back then and only had 50c, I offered it to her tin and explained I was dead broke and apologised at my pathetic donation. She threw her hands in the air, told me off and walked off haughtily. I was gobsmacked. I mean, I know it was a poor offering, but charity is charity and it was all I had. Grr.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I had someone in the street approach me for money once (I used to work in the city) I literally had NOTHING on me .. but I opened my purse, took out all the change I had (silver) and gave it to her ..

the cow almost THREW the money at me she was so miffed - I was a uni student juggling two jobs ... no govt money - nothing ... and she got angry at me for not giving her enough ..

I never EVER gave any more money to anyone who approached me in the street/ mall...

With people who collect for charities, I have a standard line. "I work in the area of disability, and I give my money to the charities that relate to my work - so thank you for asking, but no, I wont donate today"

Its really upsetting when people dont appreciate what you give them .. in all honesty you could have come back to the door with a gold coin for her wonder what her reaction could have been then??? lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. In fact, I did find $5 in my purse today and I wish I had seen it yesterday. I would have given her that and probably would have received the same response.

Seriously, with the amount of charities around these days, and people's financial situation looking grim, people should be grateful for what is donated. Every little bit counts. Its made me not want to donate anymore, however I know that isn't fair. It's certainly put me off for a while that's for sure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's really rude. I hope she gave you a receipt and didn't just pocket the money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't get a receipt as I was too shocked to ask and she was walking away anyway. At that time another second in her company was too long.

She probably pocketed the money as well. I feel used

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you remember the name of the Charity. Ring or email them to complain. That's so wrong.

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lovemybabies! For This Useful Post:

bet3  (07-01-2012),Gandalf  (07-01-2012),Pinkzy  (07-01-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If she was trying to sign you up for something, then she was probably narky because she can't get commission from your donation. The 'charity workers' who are signing you up are usually paid and get paid based on how many people they sign up which is why most of them do a hard sell. They aren't really doing it because they are passionate about the cause.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (07-01-2012),naebie  (07-01-2012)