+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So how do you feel about your kids talking that way to other people?
    They don't talk that way to other people or among themselves. They've been raised to respect themselves and to behave in a respectable manner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I really don't like kids swearing,( I swear too but there is a time and place!) i don't know why or when parents stopped correcting their kids, I know they are just words but i just find it disrespectful to swear at your parents/siblings etc, it's funny dad would go off if we ever swore and he had this old fashioned male thing where men just don't swear in front of women and I noticed over Xmas my 36 year old brother was telling us a story about someone and he said f$$k and stopped himself and looked straight at mum and said oh sorry mum!
    This was going to be my post, word for word. I said Sh!t at Christmas then cringed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When DD was learning to talk she went through a swearing phase, obviously copying what she heard others say - she would yell out "f@ckin sake!" and things like that. She learnt pretty quickly that some words are naughty words that we don't say, even if we see an adult say it.

Recently she said sh!t without thinking. When she realised what she had said she burst into tears and was inconsolable for ages

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Little Pink Hen: I have been sworn at by kids at work. I heard one one pull everything out of her back pack then say "Oh $h!t I forgot it" to herself, which I pretended not to hear, but another time at pack up time I told the 2.5 - 3.5 group to start packing up, then saw one sit down with a book so said "Oh what a great idea! We might all sit down with a book soon hey, but first we need to pack away the toys. How about you come and help us, it can be done faster if everyone helps so let's go, packing up time" to which he responded "Get effed you can't make me, eff off I want to read"

I told the parents that I tried to get him to help pack up and they laughed and were all like oh I bet he wasn't happy, normally he swears at us to f off if we try that, but they were smiling and laughing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't like kids swearing at all. DH and I have really tried to stop swearing, from the moment I got pregnant. We still slip occasionally, but for the most part we don't do it any more.

I agree with PP who have said that it's disrespectful to others too. My dad recently mentioned how it initially shocked him when DH swore in front of him (this was pre-DD), but that he had come to understand that it was just how DH spoke, and that it wasn't intended disrespectfully. DH was mortified! He couldn't apologise enough.

There are some people who, if I know they are going somewhere, I don't take DD along with me as I know the language/ swearing won't be DD-friendly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Am I ok with my kids swearing?
    Absolutely not!!

Hearing DF's niece and nephew swear and his entire family laugh and encourage them disgusts me and I've always told him that when we have kids, they will not swear and they will understand that to do so is naughty and there will be consequences for this naughty action.

DD is only 2, but her speech is really improving and she has really started mimicking Words she hears, especially for reaction purposes (like when she calls DF "babe" because thats what i call him and every one thinks she's adorable and praises her, thus encouraging her)

So we have made a conscious effort to eliminate swearing when she is awake but have decided at this young age, if she was to repeat a swear word, we will ignore it at first, giving her no reaction, no shock value and hope she doesnt continue. If it comes to that and that doesn't work then we will reassess the situation based on how she uses the word and how old she is at the time.

*Dear iPhone, stop autocorrecting all my swear words you piece of shut.
    Can't!
    DYAC...go to he'll*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Little Pink Hen: I have been sworn at by kids at work. I heard one one pull everything out of her back pack then say "Oh $h!t I forgot it" to herself, which I pretended not to hear, but another time at pack up time I told the 2.5 - 3.5 group to start packing up, then saw one sit down with a book so said "Oh what a great idea! We might all sit down with a book soon hey, but first we need to pack away the toys. How about you come and help us, it can be done faster if everyone helps so let's go, packing up time" to which he responded "Get effed you can't make me, eff off I want to read"

I told the parents that I tried to get him to help pack up and they laughed and were all like oh I bet he wasn't happy, normally he swears at us to f off if we try that, but they were smiling and laughing.
    I just don't understand how you could think your toddler or preschooler swearing at their preschool teachers could be anything but funny. If you want to be liberal where swearing is concerned at least teach that's it's not appropriate to swear at teachers. It's just so cringing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I absolutely hate swearing and I would be mortified if my future kiddies swore.

There are so many expressive words in the English language that swearing seems lazy to me*. It cheapens people's image I think.

DP swears and I am trying to get him to stop before bubs is born.

*Just my opinion .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, not okay with it. DF swears so much, and I can when hurt, angry. But I'm learning to be more mindful of it.

I really dislike kids swearing. I know it may happen eventually. But I would be horrified to hear them talk with such anger and disrespect towards someone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, for my children it's not on. Tbh I don't care if they do it around their mates when they are older (although I would prefer if they didn't), but swearing in front of adults/at adults is a huge no-no. I was brought up the same though. I swore in when I was with my mates but never in front of my family. I'm 23 and still don't! Each to their own though.

ETA- I should say swearing in front of/at ANYONE is a huge no-no. I didn't just mean adults

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 07-01-2012 at 09:15.