+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I have to say that a kid about 8 told her mother "shut the f up!" and the mother did! Then when the kid walked off she said "I used to think it was cute"
    thats not cute

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Share a book have you been sworn at by kids at work? I have, many times the other day a four yr old told me to f**k off f**king b!tch idiot. When I told mum she laughed.

I swear a fair bit and dd has said Sh!t a few times which I pull her up for knowing she is only two and language is really exploding atm so I know better and should really be curbing the swearing. But I'd die a 1000 deaths if she ever swore at someone like that

My parents both swore and us kids never swore around adults until we were adults ourselves. I still know there is a time and a place for it though.

I too hate all substitute words for swearing too. I call my brother out whose 9 for using them IMO they are the same if used it the same content. I hate hearing kids say "what the..." too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I have to say that a kid about 8 told her mother "shut the f up!" and the mother did! Then when the kid walked off she said "I used to think it was cute"
    I never understand how people think its cute to begin with?? makes no sense to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I swear without knowing it, like in traffic, when I drop something etc but never at someone.

Well, I did until my dd dropped something and yelled "oh ****" ... So since then I've been paying attention to what I say a lot more! I haven't heard it since... I just hope she doesn't say it at daycare!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh I didn't realize I swear it comes up in ** ... She said $h!t not F or anything haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a horrendous potty-mouth. My three year old has sworn a few times but in a conversationalist way, the same as I use it eg: that dumb **** should go to jail. Now if he wound down the car window and said that TO said dumb **** I would say that's not acceptable. I don't expect my children not to swear. How can I when I do (although it would be nice if they didn't) but I do expect them to speak to others with respect. So I'll teach them not to swear AT people.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Damn those *'s. I said the f word

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I really don't like kids swearing,( I swear too but there is a time and place!) i don't know why or when parents stopped correcting their kids, I know they are just words but i just find it disrespectful to swear at your parents/siblings etc, it's funny dad would go off if we ever swore and he had this old fashioned male thing where men just don't swear in front of women and I noticed over Xmas my 36 year old brother was telling us a story about someone and he said f$$k and stopped himself and looked straight at mum and said oh sorry mum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I swear a lot I never swore but around 23 I just started, I swear and I do not like that I swear its like a really bad habit... But at work someone swore in
    front of me in the lunch room and apologized I was a bit shocked and asked why they thought I did not swear and both socially and at work(child care) I have never sworn or used a word to replace a swear word

My kids do not swear despite my potty mouth, well my eldest has once at a guy who was trying to let himself into our house while I was in the back room she swore F off using the actual word very loudly and very clearly... when i ram in to see what was going on he left VERY quickly
    Last edited by fairyflossfairy; 07-01-2012 at 00:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll reply from the perspective of a teacher, rather than that of a parent, as I only have a baby. I swear in my own time. It's generally pretty tame but not always. I have never sworn at work in front of the children in my care. What kind of parent would entrust their child to a teacher who felt free to 'f and 'c and 'sh during the school day?

I make no judgement at all on parents who swear in front of their kids. By the time they get to primary school, most kids have been taught by caring (and swearing) parents which words are adult words, what words are appropriate for home, school and Grandma's, and which words are not appropriate in those places. In edu-speak, we call the ability to use different styles of language appropriately in different contexts 'code switching.'

Sadly, some kids have parents who do not bother teaching them which words are inappropriate for school and other social settings. I'm not talking about an accidental slip-up from your child, rather children who use 'language as a weapon'. Children whose parents have instilled in them a misguided sense that they have the right to be verbally aggressive, disrespectful or just plain vulgar to others. Those kids tend to spend a fair amount of time missing out on recess.

If the swearing is habitual, or worse - supported or dismissed by their parents, those children resent the conflicting messages modelled by parents and school, they resent getting into constant trouble, they resent school and their education suffers. Other children are reluctant to befriend them, (nobody likes a meanie) and they suffer socially. Unless these tendencies are unlearnt, they also tend to grow up to be the sort of self-centered, disrespectful and intolerent thugs Share a Book was referring to in her OP.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kalgirl For This Useful Post:

1234Guest  (07-01-2012)