+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *Spin off* Are you ok with your child swearing?

Not an older child using a word like "bl00dy hell" but swearing at another person to tell them to f off? Yes the other thread got me thinking. That, and my taxi driver father picked up a bunch of 18 year olds who were quite abusive, and when one called him a "mother effer" he pulled over and ordered them all out, told them they have cameras on them, and to leave before his boss calls the cops. They left, swearing at him.

Personally I am disgusted at the way people think they have a right to talk to other people in that way, and not only drill it into my child, but also lead by example to show her that it's not ok to be abusive.

Yet so many people think it's ok or even funny when their kids swear, or as I put it, use language as a weapon. The words on their own are harmless, but when used against another person they can be abusive.

So how do you feel about your kids talking that way to other people?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

kalgirl  (06-01-2012),Mulva  (06-01-2012)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i dont like my children swearing especially at someone i do swear but not at people, like when i kick my toe or something like that i will say F**k which is bad because they have picked up on it so it is something i am working on

i found it disgusting how some young kids and teen speaks these days
    Last edited by bunkx; 06-01-2012 at 22:45.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I swear like a sailor. I often don't realise that I have said swear words. DD is 8 and has never said a swear word and tells me off when I swear. Not sure how I managed that really.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

babyspice  (07-01-2012),naebie  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can swear pretty bad, but generally not in an abusive manner at people, iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think 'swear words' have their place in our vocabulary, not however as punctuation.

I despise with passion substitutes for swear words, frick, blinkin, heck etc... Replacing it with another word doesn't make it acceptable, the intent is exactly the same.

I am more concerned about my kids speaking with aggression, as I consider this worse than utilizing cuss words.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Mrs Leto  (07-01-2012),RobinSparkles  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I can swear pretty bad, but generally not in an abusive manner at people, iykwim.
    Yes, me too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I think 'swear words' have their place in our vocabulary, not however as punctuation.

I despise with passion substitutes for swear words, frick, blinkin, heck etc... Replacing it with another word doesn't make it acceptable, the intent is exactly the same.

I am more concerned about my kids speaking with aggression, as I consider this worse than utilizing cuss words.
    I guess that's what I mean, aggressive swearing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I swear and tbh, in my opinion it's not so much the words as the intent - my children could totally bully and disrespect another person without ever dropping the f-bomb, yet my uncle who is an ex sailor and swears just like one, has never made me feel disrespected.

As I'm getting older, the origin of swearing weighs on my mind a bit more and I'm trying to curb my mouth, but I've very rarely sworn at someone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (07-01-2012)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    yer same as me i dont really mind if im having a conversation with someone and they drop some swear words its when they start swearing at someone when it bothers me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to say that a kid about 8 told her mother "shut the f up!" and the mother did! Then when the kid walked off she said "I used to think it was cute"