+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Red face worried about how to care for bub when she is born.... book suggestions?

I missed my birth class (one session only) and from what i hear, that is when you find out how to do swaddling, how many times a day/night do i need to bf her and other important stuff.

could anyone reccomend a book or three that have been good for you (has to be informative and easy to understand) or a website that is legit and helpfull. as i'm coming closer to my due date im starting to worry about all the stuff i dont know, i really dont want to be in the dark about how to care for her and i really dont want to stuff it up (sids freaks me out)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't worry too much, the midwives will show you while you're in hospital about wrapping/bathing etc. As for feeding, feeding on demand is the easiest way to go, so if bub is crying and doesn't have a dirty nappy, offer a feed and see if they take it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsBeee For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found the stuff we learnt in the classes we didn't use anyway. We seemed to pick it up when dd came along with the help of the midwives and my mum haha

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I agree with previous posters. Only thing I would recommend is that if you plan to breastfeed, do a breastfeeding class and join the ABA. That is a heck of a lot harder to just pick up, even with help.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (07-01-2012),trishalishous  (07-01-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I found Baby Love very practical. I had no idea how to change a nappy but you do learn. I had this vision of DF trying to read me the instructions on how to change a nappy whilst I was trying to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've liked What to Expect the First Year as a general book. It has a newborn care section in it which I found helpful - I hadn't done anything before!!

The midwives should show you, but it was extremely busy and no one showed me a couple of things (like how to bath bub), so I found the book came in handy. The rest I just muddled on through.

ETA - re SIDS, at my hospital they go through safe sleeping it for you, and is one of the things they are supposed to talk to you. Though, I wasn't impressed with some of the midwives, they put her on her side or her tummy to go to sleep when she was in the nursery. I turned her back straight away.

Oh and the SIDS website also has some good info about safe sleeping if you are worried. I constantly worry about it and still check on DD, especially if she sleeps a good chunk in a row
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 06-01-2012 at 20:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBeee View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much, the midwives will show you while you're in hospital about wrapping/bathing etc. As for feeding, feeding on demand is the easiest way to go, so if bub is crying and doesn't have a dirty nappy, offer a feed and see if they take it
    This. Personally I wouldn't worry about books. Trust your instincts. You will know what to do - you just have to listen to yourself.

If bubs is upset, it will be wind, dirty nappy or hungry. Just check all three and give lots of cuddles and I'm sure you'll be fine

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My hospital class didn't cover any of that, and I remember feeling exactly how you feel now - I had never even changed a baby's nappy before my DS came along

The midwives will show you how to swaddle - there are a lot of different ways, different midwives will each show you their preferred technique and you can just pick one that you prefer. I am now the QUEEN of swaddling

Babylove was an excellent book to reference for certain things. Very thorough and helpful. I was never shown how to bath him...I just did it first go, easy peasy.

I HIGHLY recommend doing a breastfeeding course though. See if your local hospy has one, otherwise do an external one. Or hire an LC. Those courses are invaluable. I learnt more valuable information from my two hour breastfeeding class than I learnt from my day-long birth course.

This is embarrassing to admit, but my biggest learning 'surprise' for me was when my DS was crying the evening after I had given birth...he had a clean nappy, he wasn't cold or hot, he wasn't hungry... I was beside myself because I didn't know what was wrong. I rang my midwife and she said "Give him a cuddle" - presto. All I he wanted was some cuddles I hadn't even thought of that in my fluster

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBeee View Post

Thanks
    Reviews
    dw, im only 21 and worried i wouldnt have those mother instincts but i can already feel them coming along. i think the less you worry the more you notice what works and what doesnt rather than freaking out and picking up on nothing with bub