+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm pretty young, but we used yobbo and bogan (in NSW). Around that time the songs "What are ya?" by TISM and then "Nobody Likes a Bogan" by Area 7 came out.

Oh, and we used the term "Westie" as well.

Thanks
    Reviews

3. The Following User Says Thank You to naebie For This Useful Post:

starflame  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Wow. Guess different words were used in different areas perhaps?. I remember someone bringing up the work bevan in highschool and we were all like wtf is that?? We all new what a bogan was though.
    Maybe the northside vs southside thing Brisbane's got going on?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Maybe the northside vs southside thing Brisbane's got going on?
    Could just be that. You must be from the north then? Born and bred southsider here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Could just be that. You must be from the north then? Born and bred southsider here.
    How didja know?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahhaha this thread is HILARIOUS!!!!

I LOVE the term Bogan and proudly deem myself one. Bogan Pride!!!

I come from Wynnum (Brisbane) and its FULL of bogans. I dont find the word bogan offensive. A bogan doesnt really have a general meaning where Im from..usually youre considered bogan for going out with no shoes on..which I love cos I hate shoes. When I think of bogan the classic image that comes to my mind is a dude in stubbies and a singlet with a mullet wearing thongs and holding a XXXX beer..but like I said we can refer to nearly anything as bogan where Im from.

The only time we say it in what others think of as an offensive way is when we refer to how many bogans there are in centrelink..cos thats where you get the people with no shoes, unwashed unbrushed hair with their ripped jeans and singlets/flannos/no shirts, having a durry outside and talking like bogans to other bogans about how much centrelink sucks for trying to make them get a job.

Im a proud wearer of thongs and flannos..I swear too much..Im loud and I call everyone mate...But thats the best thing about being aussie I reckon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it's a really flexible term and has many meanings - especially when you bring cashed up bogans into the mix.

I'll refer to someone with "Aussie Pride" and the southern cross tattooed on their leg, driving a ford ute with an eff off we're full sticker on it, yelling horrible things out their window to people walking along the road, as a bogan.

But I also use the term affectionately and admit to being a bogan - we have a big flat screen, drive a commodore, wear thongs and tracky pants and am happy beer! Oh, and my middle name has a 'y' in it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's a descriptive label like many others, I don't personally find it offensive and in the majority of cases I doubt it would be used in a horridly derogatory way, but just like the words 'emo', 'goth' and 'hippy' the word 'bogan' is mainly used as descriptive, whether you personally agree with the description or not.

I have my own criteria that defines what a 'bogan' is, just like I have my own criteria that defines what an 'emo' is or what a 'goth' is or what a 'hippy' is, but it doesn't mean that everyone else is going to agree with me

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

bada  (06-01-2012),starflame  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We used bogan a lot in high school - I graduated in 2003 though so not that long ago really. It was southside Bris.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Pfffft Southsiders