+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    inkognito is offline Moving on is simple, its what you leave behind which makes it hard
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We gave DS a variation of a traditional name, with the less common spelling (I instead of E or IE) and DD has a bog standard top 10 name, we didn't choose either name because or popularity or uneekness, we chose simpily because they where the names and spellings we preferred

The only thing that bugs me a tiny bit is with DS we can never find any of the novelty kids stuff with his name on it but meh, what can you do

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    My name criteria for kids is something uncommon, but traditional spelling and easy to spell and literal to pronounce. My son's name has been good like this. I'm surprised it's not more popular.
    This is my criteria too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    I can see how that would make sense.

My name criteria was the blind date test for my daughter and the doctor test for my son. Would you be a little put off if your blind date was Emmma Wynd or your doctor was Kiouper Mikaals?
    That's interesting, but I would make it the doctor test for both son AND daughter

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (07-01-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    i must admit i do turn my nose up at ridiculous made up names, im not usually a judgy person but i think some names are just slack for the child.

i like classic, but im sure more modern people would turn their nose up at the names i like as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by naebie View Post
    These days there are far fewer people with the traditional names, such as Sarah or Rebecca, because they were so over-done when we were growing up. I honestly think that if you want a unique name, you're best off going for a name that was common when you were growing up
    This is so true. My dd name is common name (Jose.phine) up until gr12 at school she never had another one in the whole school (pre prep to gr12). In the last term of gr 12 one came into year9. My son who we thought had a fairly unique name (old testament) has become a top 100 name. Not that we cared about uniqueness we just loved the name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^Yeah when my sister was born practically no-one had her name and people used to mispronounce it ALL the time...last year it was number one or two on the popular list

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersInstinct View Post
    I have a Kaiden and I love how it is spelt I don't really know how else Kaiden would be pronounced other then Kaiden either. But each to their own. I don't expect everyone to love my childrens names.
    My sons name is also Kaden (without the I ) and my dh and i both love his name and think it is perfect.

I don't think people should be judged or criticised for spelling their childrens names differently, yes it may seem silly to you, but at least they aren't naming them completely ridiculous names such as 'Facebook' and 'Like' (which has happened in other countries).
    A different or unusual spelling imo isn't going to traumatise a child for life, naming them after an internet site most likely will!