+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default *spin off* unique names

I've heard it lots of times that people name their children wanting them to be unique and stand out. That 'normal' names are too plain or whatever. But I don't get it. All these unique names all sound the same to me like Brayden, Kaden, Jayden, and 'unique' spellings with extra letters just annoy me, they look horrible.

As someone with a 'unique' surname that I have to spell out every single time I talk to someone over the phone or in any official capacity I really think it's cruel to do that to children on purpose.

Just my 2c.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Mezmerised  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I honestly had only met one other person with DD's name, and she was a couple of years younger than me. I thought it was unique. Roll around DD's first day of childcare and who should we meet but another child with DD's name. That said, DD's name holds specific meaning to me, so I don't mind, but that said "unique" names are hard to come by.

These days there are far fewer people with the traditional names, such as Sarah or Rebecca, because they were so over-done when we were growing up. I honestly think that if you want a unique name, you're best off going for a name that was common when you were growing up

4. The Following User Says Thank You to naebie For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I always have had to spell my surname, and I agree it's a pita.

I remember reading somewhere once that constantly having your name mispronounced can psychologically affect kids.

My name criteria for kids is something uncommon, but traditional spelling and easy to spell and literal to pronounce. My son's name has been good like this. I'm surprised it's not more popular.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I always have had to spell my surname, and I agree it's a pita.

I remember reading somewhere once that constantly having your name mispronounced can psychologically affect kids.

My name criteria for kids is something uncommon, but traditional spelling and easy to spell and literal to pronounce. My son's name has been good like this. I'm surprised it's not more popular.
    I can see how that would make sense.

My name criteria was the blind date test for my daughter and the doctor test for my son. Would you be a little put off if your blind date was Emmma Wynd or your doctor was Kiouper Mikaals?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't see how changing a spell makes a name unique.

People, most often, are going to HEAR or SAY your name, rather than write or read it... so even if you add in a Y or whatever, nobody is going to care. Being a Johnnathyn is no more special than being a Jonathan... it's the spelling that's unique (probably because it looks ridiculous) rather than the name itself being unique.

Want a unique name? Call your kid a strange name spelt correctly.... not a normal name spelt strangely.

Like Sunflower or Kettle or Horus or something.

ETA - I always have to spell first and last names. My last name is just tricky and uncommon... and my first name is normal, but there are a few variations. It's Stacey... but could be Stacie or Stacy and still be normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My other test is whether the name would work if your kid was either an artist or a judge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My first name is a traditional Gaelic name and I am forever having to spell it out, even though it is now quite common, I couldn't imagine intentionally misspelling a child's name just to claim it is 'unique', there is nothing more frustrating than people misspelling or mispronouncing your whole life.

And for what it's worth, DD has what was the most common girls name for the 10 years leading up to her birth yet only it was only last year she had another little girl with the same name in her class, however she has danced with a girl with my name for quite some years and I also went to school with someone with the same name, so you can never guarantee a name will be unique for a child's lifetime, but you can make sure they are not constantly frustrated by what their parents called them, a name is for life after all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The different spellings thing is odd to me...like Aaliviyah for Olivia etc. I have to spell my name out all the time (there are few different ways to spell my first name and my last name just sucks) and it's a pain and I don't understand why people do it but I have a friend who I love and adore and she has done this kind of thing with her kids names. She's a truly amazing mother...I've never known a mother to be so devoted and dedicated to her children, she never raises her voice at them, her house is set up like a daycare, their whole life revolves around their kids and she can't stand the internet so doesn't even waste time on FB or parenting forums etc. Her choice of spelling for her children's names have no bearing on her parenting skills nor does she have a neon sign flashing above her head saying 'Bogan.'

Unique, common, boring, modern, old fashioned...who cares? Don't people name their kids because they like the name? I have one child named a very common 'boring' name (but she's never shared any kind of class or activity with a child the same name), one with a name that was probably once unique but is increasing in popularity, so will probably be one of those 'uniquely common' names in the next few years; and one name that we essentially made up but I have heard a few times now, all different kinds of spellings and even managed to find a girl who will go to school with my DD2 with the exact same name and spelling. And you know what...I don't give a flying hoot what people think about my kids names. We love them and they suit our kids which is essentially why we named them what we did.

I just find all these name threads to be quite rude. They're basically a way to be nasty about people who like different names to you. One of the names that comes up in a lot of these threads that lots of people love I HATE with a passion and I am gob smacked that it is increasing in popularity. I really think it's one of the worst names in the history of all time. A family friend of ours was teased through his school years because of the name but now suddenly it's awesome and great and so much better than the 'uniquely common' names people are coming out with now. I disagree a lot but I'm not going to start a thread bagging the name out (by the way ElleandSam I'm not having a go at you...there's just so many name bashing threads on the hub it's ridiculous and this is my general rant about it).

The only people who have to like the name are the parents, and BD&M needs to approve it. So if they like a name for its uniqueness when it's not that unique good on them, if they like a name because it's old fashioned good on them, if they prefer to spell it a different way it's their call, if they want to name their baby a bogan name good on them. If you don't like the name don't name your child that. The only time anyway should make comment on someone's name choice is if it's one of those gawd damn truly awful ones that sound like an STD or whatever.

*hops off soapbox*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a Kaiden and I love how it is spelt I don't really know how else Kaiden would be pronounced other then Kaiden either. But each to their own. I don't expect everyone to love my childrens names.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

mazd85  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    My other test is whether the name would work if your kid was either an artist or a judge.
    Mine is similar but I use the bar person or barrister test!

As PP have said it's names spelt differently that irritate me. Nothing wrong with less common names spelt correctly though. Our mythical second child, if a girl, will likely have an uncommon name that I love but rarely hear being used even though it is a real name. I'm such a name snob though that I'd probably chicken out of using it for fear of others thinking it was made up!

I work in local government and recently had to analyse the birth records for our county. Much of the time was spent sniggering at the choice of names. The registrar confirmed that in our area at least there was a definite correlation between low income levels and made up names which did nothing to challenge my name snobbery induced prejudices!