+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Thoughts

Not a really important thread but I have been wondering what ppl thought - my DH has been told he is a hyrpocrite by a couple of ppl??

DH would not do IVF, he thinks if its meant to be its meant to be and there are enough kids in the world etc etc.

DH was an IVF baby.

I think that the decision is his and he isn't obligied to do IVF because he is an IVF baby. But quite a few ppl think its really odd/hyprocritical and then say 'so you wish you didn't exist or something else dramatic'.

Anyway, I was wondering what everyone else thought?

Ultimately, the geat think about being an adult is we can all do whatever we feel is right for us, but just wondering if you think its hyprocritical or odd that he doesn't support IVF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think it's hypocritical. My reasoning being that he is the one deciding whether or not to do ivf for HIM, whereas the fact he was an ivf baby was not his choice (if that makes sense...). Like one thing is within his control (him deciding not do ivf) whereas the other was out of his control (his parents deciding to do ivf to conceive him.

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He's not a hypocrite at all!

Just because his parents decided to use ivf doesn't mean he would automatically want to go down that same path.

Ugh, people can be twits at times!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveyDovey View Post
    He's not a hypocrite at all!

Just because his parents decided to use ivf doesn't mean he would automatically want to go down that same path.

Ugh, people can be twits at times!
    Thats what I was attempting to say LOL

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think so at all. You could say the same thing about ANY parenting decision. For example, I was an only child raised by a single mum. Now, mum deliberately didn't date etc because she didn't want guys coming in and out of my life. She's now in her mid fifties and alone. To me, that was sacrificing her happiness in life for me and that has always weighed heavily on me. I have vowed that I wouldn't do that and that I would live my life for ME!

Sorry, kind of got ranting. Issues much? lol. Anyway, my point is that we often question the decisions of our parents and disagree with their choices. So just because your DH's parents chose to do IVF, doesn't mean that he's going to agree with that choice!

God that was a long way of saying no, he's not hypocritical!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not hypocritical at all.
    I mean, he didn't choose to be an IVF baby did he!

How daft.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    but do you think he 'of all ppl' should be more open to it?

someone compared it to refusing your child a medical treatment for eithical reason when this treatment was given to you as a child and saved your life?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    but do you think he 'of all ppl' should be more open to it?

someone compared it to refusing your child a medical treatment for eithical reason when this treatment was given to you as a child and saved your life?
    I don't think so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it is hypocritical at all...

Everyone has to make their own choices based on their situations and personal beliefs - DH and I had decided that should we be unable to fall pregnant naturally then we would not do IVF as we have the same ideals as your DH - what is meant to be shall be.

To each their own I say! The same would go for almost any life decision - just because my parents decided to take a certain path does not mean that I am obliged to do the same...

People can be awfully close minded sometimes, just ignore them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not hypocritical at all!!! A decision his parents took doesn't make him hypocritical if he doesn't make the same one. PPs said it better than me.

Odd - no, I don't think so.

And even if people do think it's odd, I'd just forget about them. As you so rightly said, it's your decision as a couple.