+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Infection after cesarean

Hi ladies,
    I was induced on the 23rd december and was rushed in for an emergency cesarean at 7:30 christmas eve. About two days after I started to get red and inflamed. It took another two days before the nurses acknowledged my complaints and by then I had a roaring infection. I was instantly started on 3 different antibiodics and after another 3 days my stomach burst open next to the stitches, and I ended up with a hole the size of a ten cent piece that oozed out copious amounts of pus and blood (sorry for the TMI). I finally got home from the hospital two days ago and still wasn't told what exactly my infection was until I got a script from the chemist who explained the antibiotic was for staph. Was just wondering if anybody else had this happen? And how long it took to heal?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Infection after cesarean

Hi

I had the same problem i was home from hospital for 2 days with my daughter when i got a infection from the ceseran, mine was really bad as well i was put on strong IV antibiotics, a stitch had burst and the hole got infected so they had to pack the wound and put a dressing everyday i was in hospital for 4 days then they sent me home with oral antibiotics and had the distric nusring to dress my dressing every day for 2 weeks then the funding ran out and my husband had to take over all up my infection lasted for 8wks before the hole had fully closed up and was having to pack and dress it for 5wks, it was a horrible experience its the last thing i needed after having spent 5 days in hopsital for the cesar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply. My daughter is 3 months this week and its still there. It opened further since my initial post and has now basically closed, only a few mms wide but still oozing gunk. It also burst along the suture line, which I was told had 'healed beautifully' by both nurses and doctors, 3 weeks ago but thats also basically closed over as well. Both holes are on the right hand side of my stomach, but over the last two weeks all along the scar and just above has been incredibly sore, mainly on left. It hurts constantly but when the slightest amount of pressure is put on there, omg the pain! Doesn't help with little miss kicking every time shes on the change table though! Did you have pain after the infection had passed?
    I had a swab taken two weeks ago and the staph was still there but I've been off antibiodics since the beginning of feb and as the hole has been 'healed within the week' for the last 6 weeks the doctors haven't felt it necessary for more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the exact same problem except my infection turned into a giant heamatoma under the wound. I had to go back into surgery two weeks later and they found out my abdominal wall had been completely torn open down to the bowel. I spent the next month in hospital. No problems since but it was a very long recovery and very very painful.

Go back to the doctor and speak about some of your concerns. They can be so uncaring sometimes so really push your issue. I would suggest some counselling as well. It's not a nice thing to go through. Hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there

Scar tissue can be very tender, but it shouldn't be excruciatingly painful.
    When you say the hole is still oozing, how much is it oozing? A few drops or a teaspoon worth and what does the ooze look like? Clear, bloody, pus, etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow I'm really sorry this is happening.
    Staph can be very hard to get rid of.. I have had it in a boil on my leg, that took months to clear up any many anti-biotics.

I ha my emergency c-section 13 months ago and they started me on an antibiotic drip when I got into theater just to be safe, apparently at the hospital I was at it was standard procedure... Do you know if they did this for you?
    I never had an infection.
    However I have horrible scar tissue that causes me a hell of a lot of pain.. Even 13 months on. I have been referred by my GP to go back to the hospital I had it done at and find out why I have this amount of pain.

Also if you have been taking a lot of antibiotics please take a Pro-biotic
    This really did help me when I had the staph infection in my leg, it seemed to really kick the infection in the but!
    Good luck xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have heard staph was hard to get rid of, but this is getting very annoying!
    Its a slight brown/green kind of khaki colour atm, whereas up until 3 weeks ago it was pus and blood. I leave the dressing on for two days at a time and theres probably only about 1/4 tsp max.
    I've been taking pro-biotics, vitamin c and iron for a few weeks now, and besides from feeling a lot less lethargic I haven't really noticed a difference.
    I wasn't given any antibiodics until 3 days worth of complaining later. I wish they did start them straight away though, then I might be able to play with my daughter.
    I went to the doctor a couple of days ago and was told I got the infection, and its taking so long to heal because I'm so overweight. I'm 167cms, 78kgs and fit comfortably in a size 12. I'm nowhere near the size I was pre pregnancy but I didn't think I was that fat sure was a kick in the guts.
    I'm thinking of making a trip to the dreaded hospital tomorrow and seeing if they can take a look to see what the deal is. Its definitely got the better of me this week, feeling very down and frustrated.
    Thanks for all your feedback
    Last edited by mummabear90; 15-03-2012 at 23:31.