• No It makes sense

21 37.50%
  • You mean that's not how it's spelled?

4 7.14%
  • Other

4 7.14%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think it is bogan, however it Ellenor is not my favourite spelling of the name. It is a classic name and I feel the spelling should follow suit. I'm not a big fan of altering the spelling of traditional names to make them more unique. Or Unik if you want to be a tudge different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    My name is hyphenated (Kristi-Lee), as is my other daughters (Schuyler-Rae).

ETA we didn't just add the 'y' in Kayte to make it look the way it's said... We did it because we like the name Kate but wanted something a little bit different without being OTT. I have seen plenty of women with the spelling Kayte.

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)
    Sorry this is off topic completely, but I've always wonder how you pronounce Schuyler? In my head I'm pronouncing it both Shoo-ler, and School-ler.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbity Babbity View Post
    Sorry this is off topic completely, but I've always wonder how you pronounce Schuyler? In my head I'm pronouncing it both Shoo-ler, and School-ler.
    We pronounce it Shylah (or how ever you want to spell t- point is it sounds like SHY lol). But it was originally a Dutch boys name and pronounced Skylah

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I believe bogan spelling hinges on 'modernising' traditional spellings - by hyphenating, changing the letters, adding an unecessary 'y', etc? Then Ellenor isn't bogan. It is a less common traditional spelling, for example:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellenor_Fenn

But I do think Eleanor is a prettier spelling, imho. It's not a common kids name anyway, so shouldn't be a problem with uniqueness no matter how you spell it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy in the Sky For This Useful Post:

laurea  (09-01-2012)

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Well Ladies here's the Reason I asked..

My Grandmother turned 100 last Spetember, We really want to Name our daughter after her.. Her name is Ellenor Ruby. She was in turn Named after her Great Aunt who would have been about 60 at the time. So if the Spelling is 160 years old It can't be Bogan can it?

When BD&M & Medicare went to Computers they Changed it to Eleanor and My other has been fighting for 5 years to change it back with little success.

My Mother & Sister both have Ellenor for middle names after her and feel a little MEH now We can't get her name changed back.

On the other hand my mother only has met 3 ladies named Eleanor and 2 of them pronounced it Elena So my mother sees then as 2 Different names.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm.. My thinking is that nothing is intrinsically 'bogan', but there are things that give people an impression of being that way in accordance with our societal norms. I don't think it's the newness or oldness of a name that makes it bogan, but I think that names that give the impression of being misspelled (deliberately or accidentally) can be viewed as bogan.

The spelling you gave is not accepted as a common spelling today, so I think to spell it that way could still create the impression of being bogan when used today. That's not to say you shouldn't use it though -especially if there is a family reason for you to spell it that way :-)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using BubHub

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefooted View Post
    Well Ladies here's the Reason I asked..

My Grandmother turned 100 last Spetember, We really want to Name our daughter after her.. Her name is Ellenor Ruby. She was in turn Named after her Great Aunt who would have been about 60 at the time. So if the Spelling is 160 years old It can't be Bogan can it?

When BD&M & Medicare went to Computers they Changed it to Eleanor and My other has been fighting for 5 years to change it back with little success.

My Mother & Sister both have Ellenor for middle names after her and feel a little MEH now We can't get her name changed back.

On the other hand my mother only has met 3 ladies named Eleanor and 2 of them pronounced it Elena So my mother sees then as 2 Different names.
    I've found on here that people don't accept spellings as 'correct' unless it's the most *popular* way of spelling the name. I remember some uproar a while back because someone wanted to use the name 'Oskar' and everyone had a go at the hubber because it was spelt with a 'k'. There are variants of the name which date back to hundreds & hundreds of years ago (I.e.: the Austrian poet/artist from the 1800's - Oskar Kokoschka). It also depends which country the name derives from.

I still maintain that bogan spelling is the insertion of extra 'y's

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PP, adding a 'y' just to be different would be very bogan.

My daughters name is hyphenated as per a family tradition. It's bogan. :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I agree with PP, adding a 'y' just to be different would be very bogan.

My daughters name is hyphenated as per a family tradition. It's bogan. :P
    This is me also. DD's name is hyphenated for family tradition. Her Aunty, grandmother and great-grandmother all have the same hyphenated second name and she was the first girl for this generation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not bogan at all.

Out of curiosity, how would you pronounce it? Is it Ellen-a or Ellen-or?

Jane Austen uses Elinor in Sense and Sensibility I think both are legitimate alternatives to the 'traditional' name.