+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default could it be reflux?

wondering if someone could give some advice on my baby's situation. i had taken her to GP this week who ascertained there was nothing wrong with her as she's gaining weight - but i'm not 100% that's she's OK.
    she is currently nearly a month old (3 weeks 5 days) and was born at 36w6d.
    i mix feed her because my milk supply doesn't keep up with her demands & express and much as possible. so per feed she has 60ml of breast milk and a formula chaser of about 60ml (S26 Newborn) - i've got her on slow flow bottles as on the breast and generally with bottles she seems to suck too fast and ends up choking (so i have to sit her up and pat her back) on the breast when i could satisfy her, she was doing this 3-4 times.
    at the moment she's not sleeping for very long - about an hour - then fusses for a feed. but while sleeping, she grunts, murmurs and writhes in pain, kicking her legs very strongly so doesn't sleep settled.
    I've noticed since yesterday morning she hasn't passed any poop (really tiny amounts) but her nappies are still very wet. and heavy.
    after her feeding yesterday, she is streching, arching and when i burp her she brings so much back up again and then unsettles, cries (gets very red in the face). i should also mention since birth it's been really hard to get her to burp using different methods.
    i've had her on the breast early hours of this morning, she's just suckling for comfort - when i take her off she cries. i tried to feed her a bottle earlier but she only fed not even 20ml.
    I tried to get back into the GP but they're booked out until tomorrow so I'm trying to handle this situation as best as I can - but I"m quite worried. could this be reflux? tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,
    I am just starting to deal with my third reflux baby, lucky me. What you are describing does sound a lot like early reflux signs. Although I have heard that S26 can cause constipation and tummy troubles. It might be worth changing her formula, then going from there if things don't improve.
    Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was a reflux baby (silent reflux). its a very difficult thing to diagnose because generally all babies deal with the pain in different ways and at different times. for DS he would feed ok once latched, and sleep through the night. but during the day he was an inconsolable mess, you could smell the acid on his breath, he would choke on it often too. he couldnt be layed flat, so he slept in his rocker as it was the only thing we could have him in safely on such a steep incline. he was also dealing with colic from my oversupply, but the colic subsided when i switched to formula.
    i would change the formula you are using. S26 is harsh on their tummies, often responsible for constipation and its full of sugar! I had DS on NAN HA Gold. its more expensive but its the closest to breast milk you can get. its not a 'refux' formula, but because its really easy for them to digest it doesnt sit in their stomach long so it doesnt have a chance to come back up for as long as other, thicker formulas do.. should fix any constipation problems too. i would change the formula then see how bub goes with that. then reassess if nothing changes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arbre de la vie For This Useful Post:

DJMUMMY  (06-01-2012)

DJMUMMY is offline BH Advocate for south west Sydney
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies I definitely agree with changing formulas that is exactly what happened to my dd she was on s26 from 4 mths of age and that's when the silent reflux started we changed to Nan Ha ...., it's awesome no looking back once we used that and our GP put her on liquid Zantac....problem solved....hope things get better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same here, we switched from S26 gold to Nan Ha and it made a massive difference. DD is still a chucker, but is a much more settled one!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It does sound like reflux symptoms, however I agree with PPs regarding changing from S26 which is pretty harsh on their little tummies.

If it continues I'd book in to see your GP.