Closed Thread
Page 43 of 74 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 736
  1. #421
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,728
    Thanks
    878
    Thanked
    891
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    Try and keep track of this.

    DH's mum's stepbrother's girlfriend says "Actually" in every single sentence.

    But she pronounces it "Acksly"

    Example:

    "So I turned the radio up and it acksly sounded louder than if you acksly put a cd in! Weird or what! Acksly I think it's a problem with the speakers.."

    Drives me so crazy.
    Not quite spelling & grammar, but I knew a lady why put "and that" into almost every sentence, but would pronounce it "annat".

    "So the roof annat is up on our house annat, so we're just waiting for the next step... aaaaannat."

    I wanted to go all Dude Where's My Car on her - "NO AND THAT!"

  2. #422
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sunny CQ
    Posts
    280
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked
    45
    Reviews
    0
    I noticed on the first day of Big W's toy spectacular that their website stated "No deposit online layby is back and better then ever".
    Good to see someone noticed and fixed it yesterday lol

  3. #423
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,305
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked
    985
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Someone explain been and being to me!
    Also is it I laid down, I lied down?

    Don't I feel dumb...

  4. #424
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,276
    Thanks
    3,697
    Thanked
    3,090
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    Someone explain been and being to me!
    Also is it I laid down, I lied down?

    Don't I feel dumb...
    Not dumb at all.

    Been is the past tense, and being is the present tense.

    So, you have BEEN to the shops. (It has already happened).
    DD is BEING good. (She is doing it now/ currently/ as an ongoing thing).

    And, for the 2nd question, neither.

    LAY - requires an object. E.g., you lay your book down on the table.
    LIE - doesn't - so you can lie down on the bed.

    If you're referring to a person then the only time you would say 'lay' down is EITHER if you were physically making the person lie down. E.g., "I lay DD down in her crib." OR if you were talking in the past tense. ("I lay down" - as in you did it a while ago).

    So (hope you're still with me) - you would only use "I laid down" if referring to having already caused another person to lie down. E.g., "I laid DD down in her crib" (I did this a while ago), OR if talking about putting an object down "I laid the book on the table."

    If you're talking about a person voluntarily lying down, in the past tense, then you would say "lain" - e.g., "She has lain in bed for ages."

    I probably made that sound a bit more complicated than it is! The quick answer is "I lay down" is the correct version.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

    lambjam  (23-06-2012)

  6. #425
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    Also is it I laid down, I lied down?
    Grammar Girl always has handy, tricky ways of remembering this kind of thing too:
    http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...ersus-lie.aspx

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    Guest654  (23-06-2012)

  8. #426
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    399
    Thanks
    149
    Thanked
    205
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Grammar Girl always has handy, tricky ways of remembering this kind of thing too:
    http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...ersus-lie.aspx
    Oh my goodness, thank you for this link! I have been trying to convince my husband since I met him that you lie down, NOT lay down. Recently I had started to think I must be wrong, given that everyone seems to use "lay" where I have always used "lie".

    But I'm not wrong!

    I'm right!!!

    And a big show-off!

    And now I'm starting sentences with "and" and "but"!

  9. #427
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AllCreatures View Post
    And now I'm starting sentences with "and" and "but"!
    And sometimes they're the best sentences of all.

  10. #428
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,305
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked
    985
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Not dumb at all.

    Been is the past tense, and being is the present tense.

    So, you have BEEN to the shops. (It has already happened).
    DD is BEING good. (She is doing it now/ currently/ as an ongoing thing).

    And, for the 2nd question, neither.

    LAY - requires an object. E.g., you lay your book down on the table.
    LIE - doesn't - so you can lie down on the bed.

    If you're referring to a person then the only time you would say 'lay' down is EITHER if you were physically making the person lie down. E.g., "I lay DD down in her crib." OR if you were talking in the past tense. ("I lay down" - as in you did it a while ago).

    So (hope you're still with me) - you would only use "I laid down" if referring to having already caused another person to lie down. E.g., "I laid DD down in her crib" (I did this a while ago), OR if talking about putting an object down "I laid the book on the table."

    If you're talking about a person voluntarily lying down, in the past tense, then you would say "lain" - e.g., "She has lain in bed for ages."

    I probably made that sound a bit more complicated than it is! The quick answer is "I lay down" is the correct version.
    That is fantastic. Thanks.!!

  11. #429
    missybubble's Avatar
    missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    939
    Thanks
    630
    Thanked
    127
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Seen on Facebook: probably spelt 'proberly'.

  12. #430
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    14,663
    Thanks
    1,208
    Thanked
    3,839
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missybubble View Post
    Seen on Facebook: probably spelt 'proberly'.
    No, you *saw* it .


 

Similar Threads

  1. Where's the spelling & grammar vent thread gone?!?
    By 4fullstop in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 19:05
  2. Spelling/grammar **spin off***
    By squirrelex in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 07:54
  3. Spelling and Grammar Vent Thread
    By Savingfishfromdrowning in forum General Chat
    Replies: 974
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 10:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
LCF Fun Languages Australia
We offer foreign language lessons for children 2-12 yrs in French, Spanish, Mandarin, Italian or German as after-school and preschool clubs or private language tuition. This is play-based, full immersion language learning with proven results!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!