+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pelvic pain anyone?

Is anyone else having pelvic pain? I think I've got symphysis pubic dysfunction, which is a type of pelvic girdle pain. It seems to come and go, for a few days at a time. This week its worse than it had been, and actually made sex uncomfortable

Walking hurts, turning over in bed hurts, getting in/out of the car hurts, pretty much anything when my knees are apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

Yep, I get it too, have done since quite early. Ended up at the physio who could do nothing about the issue but suggested a pelvic belt which is a long skinny elasticated belt which sits around the bottom and holds the pelvis together. It provided instant relief for me.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have this from very early on in every pregnancy, after my second baby put a hairline fracture in my pubic bone during delivery the whole area is quite weak, she also left a finger width separation of the symphisis, which isn't good!

The physio has given me a support belt, which helps when standing for long periods of time, but is quite bulky and uncomfortable to wear while out and about walking. But it does help initially. They have also given me a range of strengthening exercise which help a lot and there's also the option of hydrotherapy classes at my hospital which are really nice and relaxing to go to and give some relief. Walking around in any warm pool and floating etc would do just the same though, it's all about taking pressure off that area.

Biggest thing the physio recommended was to suck my belly in while standing/walking/sitting and also trying to tuck my bum up as well. Sounds a bit ridiculous, but give the belly sucking in a try, I was amazed at how much of a difference it made, instant relief. It's also good to focus on posture, I didn't realise how much I was arching my back, and that puts a lot of forward pressure on things, so standing more upright and tucking my stomach back makes a big difference.

Keep your knees together when turning over in bed, and when you're getting up roll to your side and push yourself up with your arms to a side sitting position before swinging your legs out and over the side of the bed. Holding your stomach in while getting up and down and in and out of a car helps, as does turning so that both legs are out of the car and then standing, instead of stepping out with one foot first, if that makes sense.

I hope some of that helps, and that you can get into a physio for a proper assessment soon!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    the best things i found gave the most relief for me were all suggested by the physio:

-support belt
    -swimming/walking in the water
    -lots of pelvic strengthening exercises like pelvic tilts
    -keeping your knees together as much as possible. Act as if you're wearing a micro mini at all times!
    -this one is a bit strange but it really worked- fill a condom with water and freeze it, and pop it down the front of your pants as a little ice pack yes, you will get strange looks buying condoms while pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ladies! Fearless - is a condom more comfortable/useful that sitting on an ice pack? I did have to laugh at that suggestion

Please tell me that its not going to get worse as my pregnancy continues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    whoa, thanks for this thread. what you have decribed is EXACTLY WORD FOR WORD what i have been experiencing. i will mention this at my next appointment. i googled it and aparantly not alot of practitioners know about this condition.

do you find sitting down is not so bad but as soon as you move to get up thats when it kills or trying to stand up straight.

i have found that the pain is generally on my right side of my pelvis and right lower back (back is not that bad but still hurts) when i move my right leg apart from my left it hurts more than moving my left leg apart from my right leg (make sense)

hugs to you and all you other ladies who suffer from pelvic pain it really is crappy and excrutiatingly painfull.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My pain is just at the "front", though it feels like its right between my legs. Neither leg seems worse to move. Sitting is fine for me. The Babycenter website has a detailed page of pelvic girdle pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for you girls! I just wanted to pop in and say that I had pelvic and hip pain at the end of my pregnancy and like magic, it went away straight after the birth. Lying down to go to sleep that first night was bliss! Hang in there.

Also another tip: don't use your feet to do things like close draws or the fridge door etc. Like others have said, keep your legs together!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VikkiB View Post
    Thanks Ladies! Fearless - is a condom more comfortable/useful that sitting on an ice pack? I did have to laugh at that suggestion

Please tell me that its not going to get worse as my pregnancy continues?
    I found with the condom you can position it to exactly where you need it, and can also pop it in your undies while you walk around etc. Best to wrap it in a facewasher or something or it can be a bit too cold against your skin. LOL all dignity goes out the door when we're pregnant, doesn't it??