+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Daytime breast refusal

My 9 week old DD has suddenly started refusing the breast during daytime feeds. At night she is perfect, gulps for about 10 minutes then falls asleep.

But now during the day she will scream when i lie her down in the feeding position; full throated purple faced screams. She will take a bottle of EBM, as I've had to express to relieve the pressure.

She has had the odd bottle of formula throughout her 9 weeks, but has never had these feeding issues before now. I feel my supply has dropped a little the last couple of weeks, but before there was too much anyway and I would leak everywhere! I thought it was just levelling out to her needs, but now I'm wondering if there is not enough during the day for her to be satisfied. Expressing I'm only getting about 50mL per breast.

She also is changing her sleeping pattern, so maybe she is just in an all over change? I bled for a few days last week, maybe that was the cause?

help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son had a nursing strike at the same age, as he got a taste of ebm while I was working and wanted more of that. Only during day.

After trying a few things, I refused to give him anything but the breast for a day. He would scream and turn his head away, and I would just carry him around. After about 4 or 5 hours, he acquiesced.

If you google "nursing strike", you should get more info.

Good luck. Even though it was 3 years ago, I remember the frustration!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

northern  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    try different positions- football hold, cradle hold, both of you lying down, bub sitting in front of you.

she may have a sore ear or shoulder that hurts in certain positions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Today she has been almost back to normal.

I had to 'trick' her every feed!

First feed, I sat by her until she awoke and got her while she was sleepy, then shoved the nipple in lol

second feed, we lay on the bed cuddling then again i slipped it in

third, we were ion our usual spot but I used the dummy to make her close her mouth then slipped the nipple as she started sucking

the rest of the feeds were done by other various mixes of the above trickery.

But I havent had to feed via bottle for over 24 hours so am very happy. And crying has been way reduced to almost none

FYI

I called the ABA and they were next to useless? She just read off a list of ideas to get bub to feed, pretty much what is listed on the website; I was hoping for a conversation about why MY baby might be refusing the breast, not a list of general reasons. She also mentioned visualisation - niagra falls etc. Hmmm

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have experienced this and I was so upset, luckily it was just a phase and my DS loves being breastfed again.

I wanted to add that I too rang the ABA and was also extremely disappointed with the service.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Leto For This Useful Post:

northern  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry you didn't find the ABA service helpful. Maybe ring back and see if you get another operator.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had the same experience with the aba.

About a month after the nursing strike, he really settled down and fed well from then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had similar issues at a similar age with DS. I saw an osteo and she suggested my milk was coming out quite fast, he was gulping and then getting a sore tummy- then he was refusing the breast. He didn't show the classic signs of a windy baby so I hadn't even thought of it.

I tried sitting him up a bit and 'scissoring' my fingers on either side of the nipple to control the flow. It made a huge difference. Maybe you could try this?

It could also be that she's becoming more aware of her surroundings. My DS has been impossible to feed in public since about 4 months. Could you try a quiet, dark room for day feeds?

I also had a similar experience with the ABA hotline. When I said my letdown seemed fast, she suggested I put my hand over my nipple and push down...while the baby was attached...

Thanks
    Reviews
    well tonight it was just horrible she was screaming so much she couldnt breathe and I caved and gave her a bottle of formula, I couldnt wait to express for her. She has been fine the last day or two but absolutely refused breast this evening. Its extremely frustrating.

I just hope she grows out of it soon, or I will be giving her bottles every time. I cannot sit there for hours with her screaming like that, it is just not worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome tricks you've tried!! :

Am cooking tea so can't write lots but another thing that might help - google Suzanne colson biological nurturing. There is a video on her site showing baby led attachment and this sometimes helps a baby on a nursing strike at this age