+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Normal? Tips? How long does it last?

DS2 will be 8 weeks old tomorrow. He is a gorgeous little boy and I love him with all my heart.

He's also, like a lot of 8 week old babies, struggling with a windy tummy, random periods of crying, fighting day sleeps (catnaps for hours no matter what and gets totally cranky and exhausted), up through the night, screaming in the car, doesn't want to be put down much, doesn't like the pram and often will scream if it's anyone but me holding him. Will settle in the sling/wrap when out but often not at home.

I can deal with that, DS1 was the same and I know it passes. But I'm finding myself really missing the quality time with DS1.

Whenever I can get DS2 to actually go down for a nap (I love my swing) I give DS1 as much undivided attention as possible, I try to watch documentaries with him (which he loves) when I'm trying to feed DS2 or get him to sleep and he is very understanding about the baby needing me.

But I've gone from having so much time to play with him, bath him, take him places, put him to bed with stories every night to having to tell him to be quiet twenty times a day, watch while DH plays with him, takes him places, puts him to bed etc. If I brave the drive to get out with the family (think singing, twisting at an impossible angle to hold his hand and usually stopping once in a ten minute drive to resettle him) I end up with bub either in a sling or in my arms the whole time while he and DH do the fun stuff.

I think I'm just seeking reassurance that others have felt this way too about missing all those things with their older child and that it does get easier. Also any tips to help would be awesome!

(Apologies if this sounds like a whingy vent... am a wee bit tired!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't worry, it will all settle down soon enough and you will get that quality time with ds1 again

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel the same DD is 17 months and DS is 14 weeks old, DD has really stuggled with me and the change in attention. I feel like i am constantly sushing her, telling her no, and bing negative.

It breaks my heart when she is upset and i cant tend to her, she crys whn DH is gone to work and looses herself in excitement when he gets home.

DS is demand feeding and is always on me. I keep telling myself in another few mths it will be easier on both them and me.

Hugs i know how you feel. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    hang in there, I've been there girls and it all settled down when ds2 was about 4mths old. You will soon make up for the lost time with the older sibling/s.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
    I feel the same DD is 17 months and DS is 14 weeks old, DD has really stuggled with me and the change in attention. I feel like i am constantly sushing her, telling her no, and bing negative.

It breaks my heart when she is upset and i cant tend to her, she crys whn DH is gone to work and looses herself in excitement when he gets home.

DS is demand feeding and is always on me. I keep telling myself in another few mths it will be easier on both them and me.

Hugs i know how you feel. Xx
    We found ds1 was very out of sorts for 4mths after his brother was born. We really had a tough time with his behavior and attention seeking but we soon got our little angel back. A new family member really had more impact on him than we expected.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

kel87  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Kimberley

We had one very sweet moment today when DS1 was playing with DS2 and DS2 was beaming at him the whole time. Reminded me to take a breath and just know that it'll settle down soon.

Hugs to you crunchie. Hope it gets easier for you soon. You're doing amazing with such a small age gap

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Clucky and Kimberlygal, we too had some lovely moments where DD wants to play with her brother or if im feeding him lying down DD will come and set herself up with a book.

Hugs! X