+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdad View Post
    Our house is a no-TV zone, so that would be an easy decision for us.
    Ours too for a long time.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have a TV in the larger children's room.. (which is actually the younger children's room) I like it as their room is much bigger than the lounge room and they have more space to lay around.

It has not interfered with their sleep in any way In fact it's made bedtimes easier. the little ones watch Night Garden at 6:30pm while I'm reading with O and J, then when that finishes and ABC4kids is over for the day so the TV gets turned off at the power. It gives me the time to spend just with O and J, if DH is not busy then we don't do the Night Garden thing and he'll read to one room and I'll read to the other. It only has ABC4kids My kids aren't allowed to watch anything else on that TV... if they want to watch anything else they have to use the TV in the loungeroom so I and DH cam monitor it. It's a basic rule but it works, if they break the rule the TV goes... so it's no drama.

If we want them to watch a DVD or something out of the living area they watch it on the computer in my and DH's room.

We have a LOT of tech in our house.. but it's all monitored.

ETA: Oh and it's not on all day... we are a very active family (now! didn't used to be!!), so mostly we're outside or doing something.. the kids would prefer to go on a bike ride than watch TV any day. So it's really only used for down-time after we've all been out, or it's really hot and I don't want them in the sun.
    Last edited by OJandMe; 06-01-2012 at 09:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When DD was 3 MIL and SIL suggested getting her a tv and dvd player for her bedroom! I don't think so.
    We bought DD a portable DVD player for Christmas, so she can take it to IL's or my parents if she really wants to, and has watched a few dvds in her bedroom when DH has been watching something unsuitable for her to see or hear, but it's definitely not something that she sits in her room doing all day, and she won't have a tv with channels until she hits her teens.

ETA: DD is turning 7.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Ours too for a long time.
    Do you find that, when you visit friends who have TVs, that the TV just intrudes? In particular, the ads? I find that after a few years without them, the ads stand out as being loud, obnoxious, condescending, and usually in very poor taste.

Back when I had a TV at home I didn't notice that at all.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duncan_bayne For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (09-01-2012),trishalishous  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have a tv and DVD player in DD1 (4.5 years) bedroom. Have done for about a year. But there are strict rules with it and tbh it rarely gets used.

Me + He = DD1 (2007), DD2 (2010) & BellyBaby due August 2012
    Angel Baby 1 (July 2008) & Angel Baby 2 (October 2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I have one in DD's room.

Why? Cos she can watch it (WHEN WE SAY SO) in there if we want to use the TV in the loungeroom (or just don't want her out here for whatever reason).

Our house is rather small... her being able to shut her door means she's not forced to listen to DP shooting people on whatever game he's playing...

We just have rules - it's on when we say, it's off when we say. That's it. She follows these rules. She's 6.
    DS1 is 7 and we also have the same rule in our house. He has no problem with the rules either.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't care what others do, but my kids will never have a TV in their bedroom.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've generally kept a tv in the kids room. I think i first put on in there when DS1 was 3..almost 4.
    They've never had an antenna so its always just been for DVD's and in more recent times the Wii.
    Atm i have a toy room set up so the kids TV is in there.
    I don't see why it's a big deal. It's easy to control how much time they are allowed to watch it. Just because its in the bedroom doens't mean they will be watching tv 24/7.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2 year old DD has a desktop PC in her room and often I put a DVD on it at night when she goes to bed.
    Other than that, my 1 and 2 year old DD's pretty much claim my room as their own and there is a huge mofo of a T.V in there as well as Foxtel

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes C has a tv. He has had one for quite some time. He only has dvd that works in there though

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub