+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much does lack of sleep affect you?

I'm just curious. I seem to have real trouble coping with just normal everyday tasks due to tiredness.

For the record I don't have kids, I just really struggle emotionally if I don't get enough rest.

For example, I was really tired today. It was a normal workday. DP took me out for dinner. I was really looking forward to it and felt good to go, tired but good. We had to leave early because I began crying and couldn't stop. I'm ashamed and embarrassed. DP kept asking me whats wrong and all I could say is 'I'm just so tired'. He thinks it's stress, last year was a pretty rough year and I went to counseling for a few sessions and felt much better.

What do you think? Should I be worried about my mental health? It probably happens once a fortnight.

Maybe I just need to make sure I get a solid 8 hours every night? Yeah?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to add that I know I sound like a big fat sook. I am so grateful for all the good things in my life. I just wanted to see how tiredness affects others, that's all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor thing. I think I'm used to it by now. DS's sleep has been going downhill so I normally get 5-6 hours sleep broken up by 2-3 feeds a night.

There are days where I'm so tired I feel nauseous all day and I'm useless. But its also days like that where DS will only nap for 20 mins and I don't get a chance to lie down.

If its ongoing for you and seeing a counsellor has helped in the past I would suggest seeking help.

Hope things get better for you soon

4. The Following User Says Thank You to happygrl For This Useful Post:

Jurty  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cry too-almost unnecessarily to be honest. I become an emotional wreck, and very irrational. Poor DP he doesn't understand-he survives well on 2 hours sleep (he plays online games and will do so till 4 in the morning, go to work, come home, and once kidlets are in bed play till 4 again. KER-AZY I know!).
    I have to have between 8-10 hours sleep or I simply cannot function. I become super forgetful, snappy, the works! You are not alone!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to spunkles For This Useful Post:

Jurty  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    yeah I don't cope well without sleep and I don't have kids either

not to a huge extent but I can never enjoy my day as much If I'm sooo tired! that's why I'd rather go to bed at 8 so I get at least 10 hours sleep obviously I'm aware this will change when I have kids haha so don't know how il go

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EmPowering For This Useful Post:

Jurty  (05-01-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I get weepy after a week of about 4-5 hours sleep.

Lack of sleep can affect you mentally, absolutely!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Jurty  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used to cope really badly with lack of sleep pre-kids but I cope a lot better now I can't even physically sleep 8 hours anymore and that's what I used to need every night so I wouldn't be exhausted.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

Jurty  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When DS was 5-7 months old I was getting about 4 broken hours a night. I also had a thyroid problem and was breastfeeding pretty much constantly round the clock - the strain my body was under turned me into emotionally and mentally a total wreck. One day I started crying and could not stop - for like 6 or 7 hours. I was weepy and depressed, anxious, snappy and grumpy.

I am still sleep deprived but not as badly. It absolutely does affect my mental health and how much of a nice person to be around I am. Last night was a rough night and I have torn strips off poor DH today . Sleep is important, for sure.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Jurty  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sleep deprivation has had a huge effect on me, I don't drive coz I'd be lethal, I've had days where I can hardly even see, vomiting, migraines, chest pains ...

Thank god ds has started sleeping marginally better!!

*** end of transmission ***

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&MrMagoo For This Useful Post:

Jurty  (05-01-2012)

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I get really emotional, cry at nothing, have bursts of irrational anger and get headaches and heart palpitations. That's at its worst when I'm down to 2-3 hrs sleep a night. At about 6-7 hrs I'm normal and 'me' again. 4-5 hrs I cope okay but am emotional and anxious.

I hate sleep deprivation.

I must say its something of a relief to know its not just me who gets such problems with lack of sleep.

And . Hope your sleep improves Jurty. (and everyone.)
    Last edited by Sparklydreamer; 05-01-2012 at 21:18.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparklydreamer For This Useful Post:

Jurty  (05-01-2012)