+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Car seat for two cars?

Hi hubbers. Soon-to-be first time mum here with a question about car seats: What do you do if you have two cars that will both be used regularly for transporting baby? Do you buy two complete baby seats or is it possible to buy one complete seat and then just a base for the 2nd car that you can click the first seat into? Any advice welcome!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    U could try calling the company and asking about just buying a base (are u thinking about using a capsule?) I needed to replace the foam from my ahr head pieces and britax wavered the cost but I'm guessing they could sell you an extra base..can't hurt to call and ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I put a capsule in my car but put a reversible car seat in my mum's car. Then the reversible seat in my car with an 8 to 18 kilo seat in my mum's car. Then a MR in both cars. I also kept a spare reversible car seat for if we went with other people. I now have an 8yo with a MR in my car only because we rarely travel with other people. I'm about to sell the reversible car seat (tomorrow) because I never use it now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Before we had a carseat in each car we just used to swap cars as we work close by each other and parking was in the same car park. You can buy additional bases, I have seen them for the unity, unsure about the others. Look at the child restraint testing before you buy anything though - google CREP testing.
    Honestly I would buy a 'good' (SNS meridian) seat for one car and a cheaper but still good for the other. Or you could hire a capsule but you will need something for the 6-12month age as it is reccommended children RF until at least 12months. The SNS meridian RF to 12kg. Many others - incl capsules and convertibles are only 9kg. BUT it has all changed now and is dependent on height.

Good luck, I hope I haven't confused you too much

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hullabalu For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some good advice, Luey. Ta

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At home DH and I just swap cars depending on who is with DS.

We've bought a second one for my mum's car as she'll be looking after DS when I go back to work.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With bub number 2 I am looking at getting a s&s meridian for belly bub when she is around 6 months old.

We already have a cheaper reversible Seat that is easy to swap from car to car(my car to work car weekly) and a hipod that stays in DH's car which should do DS until he no longer needs a booster.

We also have a capsule that we might buy an extra base for so that we don't have to swap the entire thing over depending on who's car we use.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bel0v3d For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We decided to just buy 2 car-seats in the end. The car used the most had the 'better' seat, whilst the 2nd car usually with DH had a more basic seat (still a Safe & Sound).

I never wanted to worry or think twice about which car to take to work, shopping etc I also wanted the piece of mind in case I needed DH to collect bubs one day if I was running late etc that we didn't have to change cars or anything. It's already come in handy a few times and bubs is only 4mths old.

Target often have car-seats on sale, our 2nd Safe & Sound was worth $289 but on sale for $149. Not a lot considering it seats up to 18kg so will last past the current RF days too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (07-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ta, all. I am a bit worried about swapping a seat from one car to another as I am very unco with that sort of thing, so it sounds like 2 seats is the way to go. I have to have a Caesar so DP will be doing all the driving for a while, so we might get one fitted in his car to start with and take it from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know people who had a caeser and still used a capsule after a few weeks. HAve a look at the CREP testing . I was very surprised to see that the 'zuzu summit converitble' that costs $198 tests equal to or better than my old model Meridian AHR. I personally would by the meridian Tilt and adjust for hte main car if they have fixed the problem of the straps twisting. Huge issue on my meridian AHR in newborn mode. and soemthing like the zuzu in the other. It is very likely that the child would grow out of the cheaper one before 4 but it should last to 2 or so then you could buy a convertible booster. You can get good ones for $200 so all up you would have spent $400 on seats for the second car which are good.

Up to you though. Good luck choosing