+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Changing the rules about kids bedrooms, advice please

Hi guys

This idea occurred to me this morning but i really need some outside opinions before i wage war on my kids bedrooms.

DD is now 8 years old and DS is just growing out of his bassinet and will soon need to be moved into his own cot. Problem is that we live in a very small 3 bedroom house. in DD's room we have had to remove the wardrobe doors because there just wasn't enough room to open them past her bed and i don't know if we will ever fit a single bed in DS's room.

And tidy is just not possible in either room.

My idea is not so much that they share one room but that they share both rooms.

one room will have beds and clothes only.

the other room will have all toys and books etc.

Pro's (that i have thought of)
    • we play 'sleep music'. one room means one song playing and less overall noise in the house.
    • tidier house
    • might bring the 2 of them closer together and help create a stronger bond
    • 2 beds will be easy to get into the bigger room, ie i could get bunks, there are lots of great designs out there.
    Con's (that i have thought of)
    • they will probably wake each other up, though ds is a heavy sleeper.
    • does it matter that one is a boy and one is a girl?
    • being older DD may recent the sudden and big change
    • the 'bed' room will be pink and the 'toy' room blue (both recently painted too.)
    • they (esp dd) may loose their sense of 'ownership' over the space.
    any hints?
    does anyone have a dd and a ds sharing?
    any tips on how to still give them their own space?

thank you

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree with missiemack. I think very soon your DD will be hitting puberty and will want (and need) her own space. I guess it could work as a short term solution (max 2 years), but I think it's a huge age gap with such differing needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't do it. I agree with missie_mack in that at 8 years old, your daughter is a bit old to be considering starting that kind of thing with. She will be hitting puberty soon and getting to the age where privacy and her own space will become very important to her. If she was under 5ish, I would think it might be worth trying but I just don't see it being very fair to a 8yo. I think having their own space is more important at that age than any possible benefits of having a quieter, tidier house.

Have you thought about getting your DD a loft bed? That way her bed would be up high and the wardrobe doors could go back on. Loft beds also have a desk and often, shelving or drawers underneath as well. For your sons room, if a full size single bed won't fit in, have you considered getting a cot that can then convert into a toddler bed? He should be fine in a toddler bed until around 4ish so that gives you a few more years to work out making room for his bed.

I'd do that instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It works for my neighbours, but there is a smaller age difference (6yo and 9yo)

My dh is one of 13 and as they grew up they shared rooms (of course they shared rooms, who has a 14 bedroom house???) based on age not gender. Ok when they were little but potential privacy issues when they got older.

Do you have space in your yard for a cubby? This could be a place the 8yo could go for 'me time'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i wouldnt the age gap is just a few too many years to make it workable in my opinion.

as others have pointed out an 8yr old girl will soon be seeking privacy.
    id look into different storage and space saver furniture instead

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've done what you've described with my kids and their rooms. I have one room set up with their beds and clothes and the other is the toy room.
    My kids are only almost 3 years apart and the both the same sex though.

I think if your kids were a bit closer in age it would work regardless of their gender. I remember sleeping in my older brothers room heaps when i was quite young but we were only 2 years apart.
    I don't think it would be fair on your DD. There is some really good space saving furniture out there... that may be the way to go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree and yet I'm still not convinced.

We already have a loft bed for dd, still i can't fit between the bed and the built in wardrobe to access anything. These loft beds are great and i'm thinking if i get a full canopy for it (like a mosquito net but solid and square) then she can shut the 'doors' and have her space on her bed. (here's an example http://www.yousharez.com/2011/03/23/...d’s-bedroom/)

We are are very together family and spend most of the time in the same room. She rarely plays in her room, just destroys it. Having a toy room might encourage her to have space to play. Having it organized might encourage her to be more tidy. Atm i can't go everywhere in her room (physically fit into the nooks and cranny's) so i have trouble with things like sorting out her clothes or vacuuming.

But you are right, eight is right on the edge of puberty. This might be a lot of effort only to change it back in a year or two (btw i hope to move within a year or two).

does anyone else have any other input, things i might not yet have thought about? This is such a great help.
    Last edited by southcoastmummy; 05-01-2012 at 18:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My niece is 10 1/2 and my nephew is 3 and they share a room. My niece hates it and I don't blame her. She has no space that is hers and just hers and there's such a big age difference between them for them to be sharing a room.
    I wouldn't do it personally. If you're planning on moving in a year or two then don't worry that you won't fit a single bed in your DS room..he will fit just fine in a toddler bed. My 6 year old still fits length ways in my DS cot which converts to a toddler bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the input everyone.

I have come up with a plan of attack.

i'm going to do a huge sort/tidy in both rooms. i am going to turn ds's room into more of a toy room because he's hardly in it (we co-sleep) and in dd's room i am going to move everything around to see what needs to go so all her stuff will fit better.

if in this process i am still not happy i may move the cot into dd's room or into my room. I am going to decide based on dd's feelings, though i am not going to tell her that. If she is excited by the idea i may go ahead with it.

besides it's not like i can't undo the whole thing if it doesn't work.

thanks for the help
    cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can always change back if it doesn't work, or things change.

Just changing the rooms around will give you a good chance to do a clean up and throw out things you no longer use.

If your DD doesn't like it, it could be motivation for her to keep her room clean.

good luck