+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Walking dogs with a pram

Any tips for getting ur dogs to walk nicely whilst u r pushing a pram? I plan on doing a lot of walking wen bub is born but I dnt wnt the dogs to miss out all the time

Sent from my HTC Rhyme S510b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ive got 2 dogs and i found they soon got used to it and learnt to stay out of the prams way when they got gently 'bumped' a few times. you could practice walking them with it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmm, well I used to walk my two dogs and push the pram... it was a bit of a disaster... many times I had neighbours chasing after dogs for me but they didn't walk well without the pram anyway (one strains at the leash and wants to run, the other drags behind).

I gather your two are quite used to walks already and reasonably well behaved? I am sure they will get used to it soon enough and know not to get in the way of the pram

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was wondering about how to walk my 2 dogs with a pram myself! Both of them get a bit excited every time we take them for a walk (which is daily) so we are trying to train them to walk with a loose lead, we have been trying this for a while though and while they are a bit better I don't think we are going to be too successful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol no they are not that well behaved on the lead lol they both strain to get ahead wen we first get out of the door but they do settle by the time we get to the end of the street. I pik my pram up this weekend so I guess I should take it for a test run and try get them used to it. I just dnt want them to knock it over or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If they are well behaved, it will work fine & theyll walk beside you. If not, get a carrier for bub to save your stress.

Took lots of practice for ours boys to 'get it'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I never trusted our dogs not to be pains in the butt with the pram. They are young and very excitable so I just put on the baby carrier. Much easier (providing you only have one kidlet of course).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm planning on training our boy before buba comes along for a few weeks- so I will look crazy walking with an empty pram and a dog!!!!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsPuMp View Post
    Lol no they are not that well behaved on the lead lol they both strain to get ahead wen we first get out of the door but they do settle by the time we get to the end of the street. I pik my pram up this weekend so I guess I should take it for a test run and try get them used to it. I just dnt want them to knock it over or anything.

I'd say, definitely start trial runs with the pram and the dogs so they are used to it and you get used to it. Maybe take the dogs into the front yard on the leash and let them get their excitement out of their system a bit before you start walking. My staffy used to go crazy out the front door and drag me for a few houses before he calmed down. I started just walking him around the front yard for a few mins until he calmed down then walked him. He still pulled a bit at first but not as much as before.
    Good luck with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdgirl99 View Post
    I never trusted our dogs not to be pains in the butt with the pram. They are young and very excitable so I just put on the baby carrier. Much easier (providing you only have one kidlet of course).
    Can still get 3 newborns in a carrier, where there is a will, there is a way