+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The smoking one tonight was really sad

Quote Originally Posted by Bambaloo View Post
    I happened to flick to abc around 9pm & this was on. I feel really guilty about how little food I've been eating now. Eg today i had a piece of toast for brekky then some ritz crackers around 3pm and that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But do you eat that little every day? There are days where you're bound to eat less.

That girl had several whole days in her week where she ate absolutely nothing, and she very very little on the other days.

I think it's ok as one-offs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof1expecting2 View Post
    I watched it too. The smoking in bed with full ashtray made me feel physically sick!!

And I was absolutely horrified at the preview for next weeks episode where the woman said that smoking was good for her baby as it encouraged it's heart to work harder and grow stronger (or something to that effect)!!! WTF?!?! Some people just don't deserve to have children :-(
    WTF? That is awful

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^ That episode was on tonight. I think in most of these scenarios, it's genuinely a case of misinformation. That woman seemed to seriously believe that it was making her heart stronger (or maybe desperately *wanted* to believe it ).

I'm hoping that in most cases, these specially trained nurses can educate them in making healthier decisions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (12-01-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I felt sorry for the mum of twins tonight. I know what she is going through. It's hard when you have a f**ked up relationship with food. I eat well in front of my kids so as not to give them food issues in the future, and for my pregnancy. At other times....well not so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    The smoking one tonight was really sad

But do you eat that little every day? There are days where you're bound to eat less.

That girl had several whole days in her week where she ate absolutely nothing, and she very very little on the other days.

I think it's ok as one-offs.
    Since I've been pregnant, yes, but will usually have dinner (or try to eat dinner 5/7 nights). There is nothing appetising at home & I still get sick not to mention every time I get up the kids want more food or eat mine so just don't bother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michellek View Post
    I caught the 2nd half only whilst flicking stations. I've recorded fast food baby or whatever it was called that was on next so that should be interesting (on the shorts, 1 mum to be says her smoking is making her unborn's heart stronger by having to do extra work!!!)

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub
    Yes I was horrified by the shorts. How can people be so uneducated? They must reside under a rock

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I almost cried watching this. I really got a sense of these girls cant look after themselves and do the right thing for their babies in utero what kind of mothers will they be?

The smoking one made me angry, in my experience ( family members) smokers will make any excuse to justify their habit, i can feel my blood boil as i type thinking back of some of the excuses i have heard. How could she honestly think it was helping the babies heart, also the crap that her mother smoked and she us alright... Alright in her opinion, selfish childish girl imo.

The overweight girl was heartbroken and i felt sad for her but she made an effort at least, but the girl with the twins couldnt hardly cook a meal for herself let alone eat it... When she did eat her mother made her food... How the hell is she going to look after and feed two kids if she cant/wont make a sandwich for herself.

I like to think as mothers we all do our best for our children and will give anyone the benefit of the doubt but in particular in the smokers case the facts were clear about the damage and stress on the baby, she choose to ignore it, not fit to be a mother imo.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to crunchie For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (12-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my first trimester all I could stomach for dinner was chips and gravy!! I usually eat organic but.....o oh :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't seen the actual show, but I just wanted to say- as hard as it is to believe there ARE people who are that uneducated. Its not always laziness/justifying their habit/can't be bothered. Often people like this have grown up with that going on all around them for their WHOLE entire lives, possibly almost every woman they know smoked while pregnant and their babies 'turned out ok'. Even if they had asthma, early birth, low birthweight or whatever other problems are associated with smoking in pregnancy, without education, they don't know that these problems were caused by smoking. Or they might not understand WHY being small/early is even an issue.

Its very easy to sit back on our middle class, white, educated ar$es and think how awful it is (and yes, I agree its incredibly sad), but that doesn't actually fix the problem. I know its really hard to believe when WE have access to so much info and support, but there are pockets of our society that really do not get this info, and wouldn't even know where to start looking it up, and even then, would have problems understanding it, and after all that- breaking the habit AND breaking the 'norm' in the community where they live.

There needs to be better education that is communicated in a way that people understand and can respond to, I don't have the answers by any means, but passing a brochure about smoking/diet to a pregnant woman is unlikey to incite any intrinsic desire to change on its own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I felt for the under eater too. I was very sick in my pregnancy and there were serious concerns about my babies growth rate. She was clearly struggling with body image issues etc and she thought by taking those vitamins her babies were getting all they needed. As for the smoker.. Well I have known a lot of pregnant smokers and never known one who defended it or who smoked 20 a day once they got pregnant. Most cut right down to a few a day and felt guilty for that and I was pretty shocked by that girls dedication really

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk