+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Have been taking fenugreek and supply is much better but DD still seems not satisfied after each feed. Found out that she has reflux and colic. Which doesn't help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Doesn't sleep much at all. Has a 2hr sleep all up at most during the day and of a night she wouldnt sleep more than 30mims without crying etc, it's getting worse, she must be so tired cos i know i am. I'm so exhausted and tired. She is constantly feeding, throwing up and then it's the cycle over again. Has heaps of wet nappies but must be constipated as she "farts" heaps - which absolutely smell and hasn't done a poo in 5days. Not sure if it's from lack of sleep or not but I'm so emotional at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wonder if she could be intolerant of something in your milk? With both my kids they cried a lot if I drank too much milk or coffee and were very unsettled. And my daughter has really smelly nappies and farts if I have milk so I have basically cut it out completely now. Its made a big difference. Also it sounds like you are exhausted and stressed and this can affect let down and supply.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Breastmilk is actually *so* digestable that it doesn't leave much residue - ie stuff to poo out. It can be completely normal for breastfed babies not to have a poo for 10 days because of this (although not if you're still supplementing with formula).

TBH, with reflux and colic, I'd *definitely* be giving the formula the boot - quite often colic and reflux are caused by a dairy protein intolerance...could you speak to a dietician or your GP about doing an elimination diet for a month to see if it impacts?

The honest likelihood is that formula will worsen the situation, not make it better - because along with being tired and getting little sleep, you'll also be having to make up bottles in the middle of the night with a screaming, distressed infant, and washing and steralising all of those bottles at some stage.

It's also really important to remember that the reason that colicky and refluxy babes are often so 'sucky' (ie never seem satisfied and always want to suck) is not because of hunger - especially where there are lots of wet nappies and lots of growth) but because the action of the milk and saliva going DOWN the oesophagus soothes the burning of the stomach acid. The problem is, the more full their tummy is, the more likely the reflux is to occur - it's one of those tricky situations where often demand feeding doesn't really work. I'm not suggesting a schedule by any means - I don't think they work for anyone - but maybe talking to an ABA counsellor or a lactation consultant about how to go about identifying if your baby is *actually* hungry, or is 'just' sucky because of the pain would probably be helpful.

I'm sorry it's such tough going...I've been there and I remember how exhausted and close to tears I felt all the time. It WILL get better, I promise