+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Milk supply not sufficient?

This is my 3rd bubba. She is 2 1/2 weeks old. She feeds often. I seem to find myself sitting down feeding 24/7. She also has approx 3-4 bottles a day too (60mls). I'm wondering if there isn't enough breast milk for her. With my other 2 my boobs were huge and engorged and was always leaking like I had too much milk. Now they are soft etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I feed my 3rd who's 3mths 24/7 I found that this time my boobs were no way near as engorged feeling, I think after feeding a previous child ur body has already learnt to not continually let down/leak. Just keep feeding as this will boost ur supply, perhaps get urself some fenugreek tablets for peace of mind but it sounds completely normal.. Ur doing a fab job just enjoy the ride

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I breastfed my first for 4 years and when DD was born my supply settled really quickly, much faster than with DS. She is 12 weeks and still sometimes feeds often, but to me it all seems normal as DS was the same.

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi karatate, I would think your supply is adjusted quickly for the needs of the baby. It is not necessary for the breasts to be engourged or leaking to indicate how much milk is there. I was never uncomfortable while bf any of my children unless they had gone well over the 'due' time for a feed. Keep doing what you are doing, but for me, I would drop the bottle feeds. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does fenugreek do anything to the taste of milk for bub? Don't want to use it if it might upset her etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My MCHN told me with subsequent bubs your boobs will easily adapt and will not be as engorged as with your first. Its definatley true as the only time I feel full is when she sleeps thru at night.

I went on Breastfeeding Support with Fenugreek and Blessed Thislte from the local health food shop as it was the only one with a good amount of each herb in the capsule for a good price. The others were really expensive and the amount of herb per mg was very little.

I noticed when I first started taking it (I doubled the dose) that I was really full 24 hours later and my supply definatley increased as I have having issues. I now feel we are on a good supply/demand system and seem to be satsifying her and now am slowing weaning myself off the tabs as I dont want to stop all of a sudden and my supply freaks out.

And my DD (7 weeks) hasnt noticed anything different...she still seems to enjoy it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I went to buy fenugreek tablets I was told by person at chemist they are for digestion.

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Much like other herbs, they have many uses. They are a decongestant, help with digestion, and they are a galactagogue too (help with milk production).

Aside from your lack of engorgement (which is easily explained by the fact that this is your third baby and breasts get 'smarter' as they go on - ie much like other bodily functions, the more you do the them, the more efficient your body gets at them), do you have any other reason to believe that you don't have enough milk?

Ie is your baby having 5 - 6 good wet nappies a day? Having a poo at least once every 10 days? Sleeping for 2 - 3 hour stretches most of the time with one longer (ie 3 - 5 hour) stretch at some point during the 24 hour period? Putting on a little bit of weight/growth per week? If not weight, then height, head circumference etc? If yes to all of the above - you're absolutely producing enough milk. Remember - what comes out must have gone in.

I would advise you to stop the bottle - bottles in newborns tend to be a vicious cycle whereby they're easier to suck from, babies get a bit lazier knowing they can suck more easily from the bottle than the breast, start preferring the bottle and start rejecting the breast. The chances are your baby doesn't actually need the top-up anyway, and if s/he does, then pump after you've fed your baby for a week or two and your supply will have built up sufficiently to lose the bottle.

It is ABSOLUTELY normal for newborns to be seemingly permattached to your breast - s/he is regulating your supply and making sure that she has enough for the next feed - which is why it's soooo important that you allow her unfettered access to the breast in the first 6 weeks of her life. Every feed she's having she's putting in her 'order' for the next feed - because your breasts will make what she removes, and a little bit more if needed. Your breast is also getting feedback from her saliva on your nipple and areola as to what she needs (nutrient and calorie) in her next feed. The bottle per day is only going to interfere with this process.

If you're worried, it'd be a really good idea to call the ABA breastfeeding counselling line - 1800 mum 2 mum. It's a free call and you don't have to be a member to call it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wrote this exact thread some days ago. My third bub is 4 weeks tomorrow and the only time I was engorged was the night my milk came in and a couple of days afterwards. She has put on nearly a kilo in that time as well as a couple of cm length and head. Have you had her weighed and measured for some reassurance? Its hard to trust your body sometimes especially when its not working like last time! I second ditching the bottle - I am definately introducing it but am waiting until I feel things are settled supply wise. If I do too much with the other children and don't eat as best I can, I have a low supply day. Could you need to look after yourself a bit better in that respect? I am finding things a bit more sensitive to tiredness etc this time around. Best of luck with it all, its tougher the more kiddies you have to look after
    Last edited by Little_P; 11-01-2012 at 12:43.

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    How are things going now, Karatate?