+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do contractions HAVE to be regular, to be actual labour?

I'm 38 weeks preg with number 2 bub.
    Lastnight I was awake pretty much all night with painful contractions, but they weren't regular at all. I ended up taking a panadeine forte because they were getting quite bad, but it didn't really make much difference. The last one was at about 5am then they stopped for a few hours.
    Since about 10 though, I've been having more. They're quite frequent but again, not regular. Last timings were 12 minutes, then 3 minutes, then 5, then 4, then 7.. All last 45-60 seconds. Changing position doesn't help, in fact a few have got worse when I've tried to move around. And they're pretty intense. Can't do anything else when they come, besides force myself to breath..

I've had a couple of false labour 'episodes' over the past few weeks, but nothing as long-lasting as this.

I'm a bit worried that I won't recognise when I'm in "real" labour (sounds dumb I know), but DD was posterior so I've only experienced an EXCRUCIATING posterior labour. (I know labour doesn't tickle at the best of times!).. I know everyone says "you'll know".. but the only thing I'm really going by is the pain factor.. and I don't expect to feel the same as bub is facing the right way this time.

Also didn't lose my plug or have my waters break until several hours into it, and I was almost fully dilated when they both happened last time. I was already in the hospital about to be induced when I went into labour, so I haven't ever had the warning signs.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    PS I've also had a fair bit of 'pressure' around my pelvis and tailbone area today. Bub has clearly dropped down a few days ago but at my appointment yesterday there was no mention of whether he was engaged.
    So whilst I've had the 'watermelon between the legs' feeling for a few days, this is different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does sound like you're getting ready to go into full labour. As you said in your last post, you've noticed a difference so I would be calling your hospital for advice. With my DS2 I had erratic Braxton Hicks contractions (or so I thought) for a day or two prior but the actual day I went into labour, I just felt off and had what felt like bad back aches. It was only when i noticed I had 3 regular contractions 20 mins apart that I called the hospital. Lucky I did as DS was born 4 hours later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would call my health care provider. Just to see what they say.

I don't think contractions 'have to' be regular for it to be labour.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys, might try to get ahold of the birthing suite (if they bother answering for a change ). I'm having a c/s so don't want to risk any "surprises".

I've had 3 more since posting..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou...
    I'm on hold..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What's the verdict?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

lovemybabies!  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With DD3 I had irregular contractions for about 8 hrs before I went into full on labour, which felt like one long contraction and only lasted 1.5hrs (would probably have been less had DH not been at work 1.5 hrs away when full labour started).

Hope you have luck with the birthing rooms