+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2nd opinion or not????

Soooo DH has poor abnormal sperm morphology 91%........ FS said being an average on in the 90's that we have a 1% natural chance of conceiving & directed us to IVF as pretty much our only way :-(
    It's all just so confusing & stressful..
    We really liked him & he seemed really good & would luke to continue with him but then I have the moments where I doubt myself and him and think should we get a second opinion?! But then there goes another $180..... We have already spent so much - sometimes I just thing we should save our money and put it towards the ivf?! Then I think what if we don't have do do ivf?! But if the second opinion I'd that we do need ivf then would I be disappointed of wasting more money when we need every sent for the ivf?! Anyone else had similar results to us and been told that's your only option? :-( I'm so up & down today :-(
    I'm all over the place!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely get a second opinion!!

The 'normal' range for morphology is for them to be >5% normal - which means that your DH / DP can have 95% abnormal sperm and still be considered 'normal'. My DH has this (95% abnormal, 5% normal) BUT he has over 70 million sperm there so this means that 3.5 million sperm are normal. Our FS has said this is fine and will not affect our chances at all. What was his count?

We are about to start IUI (insemination) to give his sperm a better chance just in case, but that was our choice, the FS didn't think it was necessary.

So yes I would get a second opinion for sure, good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls... Second opinion tomorrow :-)
    Worried cause he works for Monash IVF and the last one was from Melbourne IVF..... I worry they push you more towards that but I saw my dr today & he said it's not the case, they are not commission based etc...
    He explained it costs them a lot of money too with the Medicare rebate etc....
    Dh had 2 tests... First one he did at home and drove there, result was 97% but said sperm must be tested within 3 hours... It was tested at 2hrs 45 mins....
    Then the doc sent us to Melbourne IVF and their tests are done pretty much straight away & more accurate, result 91%.......
    FS said anything in the 90s was too high.....
    I'll update you girls tomorrow with the second guys opinion

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I got a second opinion today & the news I guess is a little better... But not so much!
    Firstly he didn't believe we had a 1% chance, he thinks we have a higher chance than that.
    He did a pap smear & has sent DH for another S.A..... His recommendation is if the results come back any lower than 91% which means improvement (DH has improved diet & now on menevit) then he says I should have a lascopy (can't spell it) he said just to make sure I'm all good but that's $1500 that could go towards IVF??
    He said sometimes couples fall pregnant after having that done?! But I've always understood that to be for female infertility?? Are we waisting time & money?!
    He said if the results are the same or go any higher, he would recommend we go ivf as it could possibly take years naturally :-/
    Any opinions welcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you ask him what the sperm count was? Next time you get SA results, ask for the count, and work out how many 'normal' sperm there are. Example: if the count was 50 million and you have 10% normal morphology then you have 5 million perfect normal sperm which I think is plenty to fall pregnant! But if the count is low then it would be a worse result.
    Laparoscopy is for female infertility, what tests have you had done on yourself? Eg have you had a HSG (where they flush dye through your tubes to see if they are blocked)? Ultrasounds? i would want more testing on you first before having an operation, but thats just my opinion.

Stay strong hun

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with minipolly2b
    Definately look into other testing first before op unless you have already done so. Also with the sperm count - find out what the count is. I have been in your shoes and with menevit and vit C we has a huge improvement on numbers (count) although morphology didn't change much, but due to the significant rise in sperm count our % must have increased - 3 BFPs in 12months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Hubby & I were told IVF was our only option. DH had poor low sperm count, I had PCOS. We just found out a week before our wedding, decided to sell the car after we got back from honeymoon to pay for IVF coz we spent all the $ on wedding etc. We got married, went to Fiji for 2 weeks & relaxed (stopped taking clomid to/what was the point?) We conceived on the honeymoon!!! And we now have 2 beautiful children 1 & 3 yrs old. I would get a second opinion... Good luck xoxoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. We had a second opinion & were told the same thing... We started IVF in Feb, got our BFP but miscarried in April :-(

We are going to go through with our last two embryo transfers & then might look into a dr who has been recommended that investigates MFI....

Such a long road...

FIRST CYCLE FEB/MAR 2012
    IVF ICSI ANTAGONIST
    BFP - but sadly miscarried @ 6 weeks.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so sorry that you have had to go through that. Have you looked into everything you can do yourself to improve your hubby's fertility? We brought a book called Getting Pregnant Faster by Dr Marilyn Glenville when we were told DH had very poor sperm & we followed that book strictly. It has info to increase males fertility/sperm count & supplements that increase male fertility, & other things you can do. DH started taking L-Carnitine, L-Arginine, fish oil, menevit, no caffeine, & very healthy diet, wearing boxers not undies... All that stuff... After that we conceived... Do you know if your fertility is ok too & charting your cycle? That really helped us too... Sorry to ask very personal info but I have been there & was gutted when I was told we both had fertility issues & we were just handed a referral for ICSI as if it were just another normal part of the process. We took matters into our own hands & I would be only too happy to help you.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    with a sperm analysis there are a number of factors

Count - the number of actual sperm per ml of semen. Anything over 15million per ml is considered normal

Volume - this is the actual volume of semen per sample. anything between 1ml - 6.5ml is normal

Total sperm count - is the total sperm in the sample (ie count x volume) ... should be more than 39million sperm

Morphology - this is basically the shape of the sperm. In order to get to the egg (the fallopian tubes are a long way relatively speaking) the sperm must be a good shape to swim that far. Only the best swimmers are able to make it and penetrate the egg. Normal is considered anything more than 5% normal morphology ... and while that doesnt sound very high, a normal sperm count is something around 40 million sperm - so roughly 2 million sperm each time are normal. It only takes 1 to make a baby.

Motility - movement. This is the one that is time relevant ... as the sperm will stop swimming as much each hr after the sample. normally 50% or more that are forward moving is considered normal.

Obviously all of these factors combined give you an idea of how many well shaped, forwardly moving swimmers your DH is getting each sample. If he has really high total sperm count, then not as many being great morphology might not matter so much .... if he has lower volume then less morphology or motility is more of a problem.

As for a Laparoscopy ... a lot depends on your situation. A Lap can be covered by medicare mostly as it is in hospital - so shouldnt cost that much.

There are basically 2 ways to check that your tubes are clear and that when the egg is released it can travel down the fallopian tubes easily (and that sperm can reach the egg).

1 = Hycosy ... basically dye is injected and using an ultrasound to check the movement through your tubes. This is usually done with a local anesthetic in your FS's office.

2 = laparoscopy (lap) and involves keyhole surgery (under a general anesthetic) to flush your tubes, they also inject the dye and check the flow, and if you have any other issues such as endometriosis, this can be treated at the same time.

It is true that there is an increased fertility "window" of 3 - 6 months after lap surgery where more women fall pregnant naturally. Flushing the tubes does appear to actually help in lots of cases.

I had endometriosis.. had a lap and was told after it that my chances of falling pregnant naturally were virtually nil. I was due to start IVF 4 months after that (FS had a waiting list) ... and fell pregnant naturally in the 3rd month.

If your issues are only sperm issues - low morphology etc ... ask your FS about possibly trying IUI (intra uterine insemination). That is where your DH will give a sample (or they can do a few samples freezing them ... defrost them all and sort them to get a larger sample of good sperm) and this sperm is inseminated into you .... usually closer to your tubes to enable easier/better chance of fertilisation. Clomid or very light follicle stimulating hormones can sometimes also be used to increase your chances of pregnancy. This is usually roughly 1/4 of the cost of an IVF cycle.