+ Reply to Thread
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Cool Thinking of studying to be a Real Estate Agent

Not something I ever thought I'd do, but as I'm buying a house at the moment, I've met a fair few, and thought I reckon I could do this job!

One upside I *think* would be good would be relatively flexible work hours, enabling me to get the kids off to school, hopefully be around if they are sick etc, a bit easier than if I were in a 9 - 5 job.

I've been looking at the requirements, there are 11 papers I need to do, (this is NZ) which I can do from home, all costing $138 or less each, I can just do them as I go, I've 2 years really to get myself sorted for work.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone been in the real estate business and want to share their opinions, knowledge etc?

Or just anyone at all with an opinion??
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 05-01-2012 at 14:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    subscribing as i too have been thinking about doing the same

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I hope someone replies!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    maybe off to school but after hours works and weekends so thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ladies, just thought I would reply. I am starting my agents rep licence next week, I have been offered a position in a very prominent agency so they are doing my training etc... I wont sugar coat it, its really hard work and its quite a cut throat industry. I have been a sales consultant for a new home builder for the last 3 years so have been selling new homes which you actually do not need a licence for (so anyone can do it) for me it was a great insight into the industry and I have really enjoyed it and decided to take the next step and head into main ****** real estate. There is a certain degree of flexibility but if you want to suceed you really need to be all hands on deck. Saturdays are essential as thats when everyone does their open for inspections. In my role as a new home consultant I almost felt like a doctor - I was on call 24/7!! There would be nights were I was still talking to clients on the phone at 10pm or would dash out on a Sunday morning to an appointment as if you cannot make yourself readily available the clients will go elsewhere. I am going into my new job knowing that its going to require a lot of commitment, time away from the kids etc... I am lucky however that DH have done a role reversal so he will be at home full time to look after the kids and that makes me feel a bit better and also comfortable that I can give 100%. My main points when I accepted the position was that whilst I am 100% commited to building my career I also want to be a mummie and I dont want to miss out on special things like school concerts, mothers day morning teas all that sort of thing and I have been assured that I will have the freedom to do all that as to me it is more important than anything. The agency I am going into are very big on family, their top guy is a father who is very family orientated and he said he never misses anything he just said if you use your time wisely you dont necessarily have to work hard - you just have to work smart. Good luck girls

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am married to a rural property agent and although his hours can be flexible there are a lot of out of hours calls and inspections that he completes. He is also and auctioneer and is often called upon to help the residential agents with auctions at weekends. He puts in that little bit extra to build up and maintain his client base. He works solely for commission. If you can't be available for clients then they go to other agents who will be. Im not sure about your area but there is usually stiff competition amongst agents.