+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just bumping this up to see if anyone else has anything more to share

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the copper IUD for 18 months - insertion in the Gynae's rooms which was no problem, felt a bit weird but not sore. Period's remained as normal I just seemed to cramp the day before and only had one heavy day. All in all I was very pleased with it, no hormones and could carry on as normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing. I'm considering this form of contraceptive after this Bub is born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the copper iud after no one and am getting it again after this pregnancy. Loved it. No issues at all, no change in period either. For me hormonal contraception doesnt agree with me either. I found it very surprising how uncommon it is in Australia. When I read up about it I found this, which was really interesting
    http://www.racgp.org.au/afp/200210/20021001mazza.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Btw in Germany the new gold iud has now launched... Unfortunately it will prob take a while for it to get here...if at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there. I had a really negative experience with the copper iud. Cramping all month long, sometimes as bad as contractions and very heavy bleeding for 7-8 days. My cycle is only 23 days anyway so having an 8 day period and spotting in between periods was a nightmare. Not to mention the PMS that went with it. Horrible mood swings, increased appetite (have gained 8kgs) and really bad skin (cystic acne bad!). 8 months later and i'm really unhappy with how i feel and look so today I went and had it removed. Hoping for the best now! Anyone else here had a negative experience and recovered well after removal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following this, I can't do hormonal contraceptives. For those who used it successfully did you couple it with condoms or could you just rely on the iud? My dr tried to convince me a few years ago to get a mirena because his wife loved it but I am so hormone sensitive.

Pp I wonder why you have had such a hormonal response to it while it doesn't have any hormones? I'll have to do some super research about that, I hope your symptoms improve after it's removal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not long after this thread started I ended up getting the copper iud. After almost 2 1/2 yrs I recently had it removed. At first it was ok, but after a year I started getting horrible cramps every month, sometimes bad enough to leave me stuck on the couch unable to move for awhile. Tmi but I was getting constant bv infections and thrush, it was really unpleasant. I was getting major mood problems. I looked into it and realised I was showing symptoms of copper toxicity. After having it removed and taking a zinc supplement I'm doing a lot better, my mood is much more stable and everything now feels 'normal' down there. I feel cleaner, no more infections etc.
    After having it removed I was almost 3 weeks late for my period, but it finally showed and instead of 7 days of crazy bleeding it was only 5 days of normal bleeding. I'd forgotten what a normal period was like!
    I liked the iud at first and the convenience of it, but the longer it was in it gradually caused a lot of problems for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH and I don't use any other contraception with the Copper T IUD. Condoms are only needed to protect against STIs. The Copper IUD is one of the most effective and reliable contraceptions there is. Some women get heavier periods or worse cramps, but I didn't have those issues. I love that I don't have to do anything for contraception for the next 10 years,but if I do decide to have another baby, it's instantly reversible (relatively speaking). There are 2 copper IUDs in Australia, the Multiload that lasts for 5 years and costs $135, and the copper T which ladts for 10 years and costs $65. I am really sensitive to hormonal contraception which is why I didn't try Mirena.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the multiload. I don't think it would have made a difference but I wonder if I would have had a better experience with the T