+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Will things get easier soon?

My dd is 14 weeks old today and I'm finding she's feeding more and sleeping less & worse overnight than 4 - 6 weeks ago. I kept thinking the bad days were a phase/growth spurt, but in the last 4 or so weeks the good days have been an exception. Previously she was sleeping very soundly at night for at least 6 hours, usually 8 - 10 hours (yeah, very good I know). Now, it's usually 5 - 6 hours and waking up every 2 hours or less making lots of noise wanting her dummy. She's also feeding about 8 times a day (or more). She's BF.

I was hoping she'd start dropping a feed or two more reliably by this age. Instead she seems to be feeding more and feeding later at night more often. Do bigger bubs (she's on the 90th percentile) just want to feed more? She did start rolling a few days ago too & she's generally pretty active during the day.

So, I suppose I just wonder when I should expect her to start dropping a feed or two or three . Will it be after starting solids that I will see a big change?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She sounds completely normal. My DS didn't start dropping feeds until after solids were established. I've also tended to drop feeds for him. If I offer, he'll generally take it. My advice would be to let go of any expectations of what they 'should' be doing because they almost never do things as you except them to. Just roll with it, every baby is different.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I think by setting an exact time where you should be able to see a change for the better in your DD is just setting you up for a big fall.

There is no hard and fast rule about when LO's will drop a feed and start sleeping better.. eg by boys fed 3 hourly around the clock easily for their first 8 months. (I was living on 4 broken hours of sleep a night) They were clingy and always wanting to be held. (In comparison their cousin was the exact opposite... content to chill by herself a lot, slept through... now they're polar opposites again.. she's high maintenance and gives her Mum a very rough time.. my boys are very chilled and easy going )
    I would always look at my niece and feel very jealous... I would think to myself that the boys would have to stop doing xyz because that's when niece did it.. and that time would come and go and I was still only getting 4 hours of broken sleep a night!

Each child is unique and different, it's like comparing apples and oranges

FWIW, my boys didn't sleep through til 21 months (sorry to scare you!) BUT, I did notice things became easier and easier as they got older. By 6 months they were crawling, and that made them happier. By 11 months they were walking and things got easier again. Obviously when they started sleeping through I started feeling a little bit human again. Now that they're 3 and can COMMUNICATE easily, everything is so SO simple! lol

I know it's hard, but the best thing you can do is to give in to baby, and go with her flow

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Thunderstorm  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you think you have plenty of milk still? I find my supply drops if I don't drink my usual 2+lt of water and but feeds more often that day/night.

Also do you mean she is sleeping 5-6 hours straight a night?

She may be developing a sleep attachment to the dummy as she is much more aware at this age. She may be waking up when it falls out and needs that or a feed (ie sucking) to get back to sleep.

My 5 month old DD was sleeping for 7 hrs straight at night from 6 weeks then all of a sudden at 4 months she went back to waking 2-4hrly all night. Not sure why, and she's still doing it 6 weeks later.

My paed told me, when I saw him with my 2yr old at 6 weeks old, that babies develop an attachment to dummies at about 4 months and to either be prepared to replace it in their mouth constantly or get rid of it. I got rid of it, but he was a bad sleeper regardless :-/

Solids haven't made any difference to my DS or foster babies sleeping so Im in no hurry with 5mnth DD.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone for the great advice/comments.

My milk supply is fine thankfully. My ds was a shocker and hardly slept & constantly fed, but my dd has been the opposite and is generally a 'dream baby'. I have very little recollection of what my ds was actually doing at this age anyway . I was getting used to plenty of overnight sleep with my dd, so any change to that is very noticable. Especially cause my dh is away for the better part of 3 weeks and I have a really bad back that only gets better if I rest ... and it's quite painful to get out of bed multiple times a night or spend hours feeding/settling. My dh is around for a few days, but I'm about to be on my own (at nights anyway) for a week ... I will have help during the day.

I just thought that 3 month olds would be 'easier' than newborns, but it appears that is not the case and I just need to wait for things to settle down ... whenever they do. I've deferred returning to work by a couple of weeks, but that still looms large (dd will be 5 months old) too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you co sleep? (if u don't) I just find that I get a lot more sleep that way and we function as a family a a whole lot better. I'm feeding a 13wker and still have a 2 and a hlf yr old who gets up in the night. Once they're like 3,4,5 it gets easier, it's only a short time in their lives... Just throw out expectations and enjoy the rocky ride well that's how I cope with no sleep I never look at the time or count... I couldn't even tell you how many times in 24hr I feed... Probably 28 times

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)