+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Having your period when travelling - advice needed!

Hi everyone

I have been on the pill consistently for over 12 years now. I will be coming off the pill in the next month to start TTC at the end of this year. Because i have been on the pill for so long, i am so used to being able to skip the sugar tablets or 'plan' when to have my period around holidays or special events etc so i can have it when i dont have anything special on. I am one of the girls (like most of you im guessing) that cant stand having my period & i skip it as much as possible, on advice from the doctor this is apparently OK.

I am dreading the thought of coming off the pill and having my period every month. How have you girls coped with having your period on holidays?? Especially beach/pool holidays? We are planning a 2 month holiday later this year and i wont be on the pill then so i am already stressing and worrying about having my period at least once or twice during the time we are away. I hope it doesnt sound silly because i know its a part of life but for the last 12 years i have just gotten so used to being able to skip the sugar tablets and plan it to come at a more convenient time! We will be spending alot of time by the pool and beach on our holiday and im dreading the thought of having it at that time. We are planning to go to a few waterparks as well with lots of waterslides, i would hate to miss out on this because of my period!

Have any of you travelled or been on beach/pool holidays and had your period while travelling?? Do you have any tips or advice??

Sorry if this sounds silly but i would love any advice you can give!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tampons are great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi lozza... Stop stressing yourself!!! I wasn't on pill for as long but I was for about 5 years when decided to stop.
    I think your anxieties totally depend on heavy/crampy your period is.
    I don't think it really is a problem unless you find it hard to cope. I've travelled extensively (even worked at a beach in Greece for several months!) and coped quite well. I get severe cramp so I found once I knew it was coming to take pain stuff before it hit! Carrying everything you need and sometimes (as annoying as it is) using both a tampon and pads (in case toilet is far away).
    I also now have an app that keeps records and alerts me to when it's coming do I'm never caught out. It's called iperiod. If possible plan a rest day on the worst day of your period.
    Anyway, good luck. You'll be fine!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Tampons all the way, and like the PP said, don't stress!!

I went camping in Africa for 2 months and had my period twice while there. Just plan ahead. Make sure you have enough supplies and you'll be fine. I was worried too, but coped with no shower every night and bush loo's, so I'm sure you will be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that everyone. I thought the answer would be tampons, I was just hoping there would be an alternative as I have never used tampons before! The thought makes me sick lol. Does any ever leak out or anything? I cant imagine it being able to absorb enough without having a pad there to ‘catch’ it? Also, are they uncomfortable to wear?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only ever leak if I have a really heavy day. They shouldn't hurt or feel uncomfortable if it's in properly, though can feel funny when you first put them in.

There are lots of different brands, round tip, blunt tip, applicator etc. if they feel funny, try another brand/type. Make sure you use the right size to match your needs and use a liner/pad if you are worried and don't forget to change regularly!

I didn't use them until my mid 20's. When I first got my period, Mum told me only sluts used them and it took me a long time to get over her hangups with them. Took a while to get used to them, but that was mainly mental! It's a lot cleaner with them and doesn't last as long either.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice everyone! what brand tampons do u recommend to use?? Are ones with applicators better?? what brand pain relief is also good? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    get a menstral cup - much healthier than tampons and waaaaay more convenient

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (06-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    get a menstral cup - much healthier than tampons and waaaaay more convenient
    I feel really naive, but what's a menstral cup???? Lol. Sounds like a nifty contraption!

OP, tampons are wayyyy better than.pads, particuarly if you want to go swimming! And i imagine a pad would be bulky in your swimmers. They also smell, especially if it's hot. Tampons don't leak at all unless they're 'full'. Usually wouldn't need to change a super any more than once every 3-4 hours

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Waitingfornumber2 View Post
    I feel really naive, but what's a menstral cup???? Lol. Sounds like a nifty contraption!
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cup I've never tried one, but have been tempted. On my wedding night, my photographer (also a distant family friend) offered to drive hubby and into our hotel room and on the way tried to convert me to the cup. Weird wedding night convo... :/

I personally hate the applicator tampons! Hate, hate, hate! It also the ones with the twisty plastic wrappers are better, for sure. There's a brand out now with 'wings' (which I thought was crazy redundant on a tampon) but I do think these tend to leak less often. And there's also a brad with a 'silky' outer layer for a better 'glide' or something equally TMI. These are good too.

I only know so much because I have had 4 years without a period (babies & breastfeeding) and recently became a consumer again, do decided I needed to know what was new with tampons
    Last edited by Daydream Believer; 05-02-2012 at 00:23.