+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Paid maternity leave in this situation?

Hi. I've been working 2.5 days per week at my job since I started in August. I am due to give birth in August 2012. I have severe morning sickness (HG) and have been hospitalized a few times. The sickness affects my ability to do my job well and my hours are down to 1.5 days per week. I want to be eligible for paid maternity leave at at least the rate of two days per week or it won't be worth it. If I get a medical certificate from my doctor saying I'm unfit to work my usual amount of hours, would centrelink take this into account when calculating the maternity leave? I will get around to calling centrelink soon but if anyone knows about this I'd be interested. Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think she means the eligibility requirements rather than the payment? I don't know enough about it but would think that medical reasons for not being able to work might mean you are still eligible. Best way is to give them a call.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You need to work 10 months out of the 13 before your baby is born, at least once every 8 weeks for at least an hour for a total of at least 330 hours(which equals 8 weeks(38hrs x 5days) or 40ish days in total) so going off what you've said you should be eligible for PPL.

Hope that makes sense lol
    I called family assistance today and they are really friendly so just give them a call if your confused still

Thanks
    Reviews
    As Apple Isle said I think you'll work enough to be eligible but I did read today that they do take into account pregnancy related illness/complications when deciding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. I'm pretty sure I can fulfil the requirements for eligibility. Someone had told me that the rate of maternity leave pay was calculated depending on your pay before birth with the national minimum wage as a maximum limit. The Centrelink website wasn't clear about this, and you guys say different, which I'm hoping. Ugh! Better get on the phone to them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by chubbasmummy View Post
    Thank you. I'm pretty sure I can fulfil the requirements for eligibility. Someone had told me that the rate of maternity leave pay was calculated depending on your pay before birth with the national minimum wage as a maximum limit. The Centrelink website wasn't clear about this, and you guys say different, which I'm hoping. Ugh! Better get on the phone to them!
    It's a set amount, so it won't matter what you are currently on.
    My friend was only getting 300 per week and now on PPL she is getting the $500 or whatever it equals to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome, thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its on your annual wage, and they ask you what you think your wage will be over the next 6 months or something. Im not due to receive mine till March.. and cannot get a decent answer out of them as to exactly how much ill receive. I only know its a massive $140 more than the baby bonus, which is annoying because it will determine if i go back to work early, or remain the full 18 weeks being paid half pay from work... As long as it covers my homeloan repayments ill be happy.. but i they wont tell me till it ends up in my bank account

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently put in my application for PPL (in preparation for when bubs arrives) --- I've been diligently collecting payslips all year in order to prove I met the criteria.

They didn't need my proof--they asked me what my income was last financial year, & based on that assumed if earnt similar i would meet the criteria!! No proof requested at all....

Anyway. Moral of this long winded story, you should be fine!!